no hot water in tube

Old 01-03-08, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
no hot water in tube

so i have the classic "no hot water coming out of the bathtub but there is hot water everywhere else" issue.

now, i have a moen setup and i already took apart the faucet and replaced the cartridge because i had this issue 2 weeks ago. I cleaned the inside of the pipe as best i could and flushed it several times by turning on the water at the mains but I still don't get any hot water coming out.
I have a feeling that there is some sediment somewhere along the line but i changed most of the supply lines during the summer, just not all the way up to the taps.

My water heater is old and due to be replaced but is there any suggestions on things i can do before i tear apart the wall to cut out the water exchange tube thing.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-08, 04:02 AM
What did the debris look like, little white flakes of plastic??? If yes, you have a disintegrating dip tube in the heater. And it will take a while to flush that out of the line, and the heater. Best place to start is replace the heater. Pressure with an open ended line might dislodge the blockage, but care is needed so as not to flood the house, or the room with the open end.

Old 01-04-08, 05:10 AM
last time i cleaned it, i was getting little black things coming out when i was using the tooth brush to scrub the insides. this time, nothing has come out.

Old 01-04-08, 11:44 AM
i just flushed my hotwater tank but still no hot water in the tub

Old 01-05-08, 04:42 AM
If there is a buildup of debris, it is usually at a valve, elbow, or where the pipe narrows, like the opening in the faucet. Cycle all shutoff valves(close/open), that might dislodge whatever it is. Try a coathanger or some flexible wire down the hot side of the faucet body.

My previous suggestion was to remove the cartridge, turn off the cold side supply and turn on the hot side supply. As I also suggested, this can get quite messy if it work, because you will have full pressure at the open faucet body. If you don't hear water running, it is obviously still blocked. If you hear water rushing, turn it off quickly, the blockage is gone.

Old 01-05-08, 05:19 AM
You may have rust blockage in the hot side ,,very common depending on the age o

Originally Posted by tamerax View Post
so i have the classic "no hot water coming out of the bathtub but there is hot water everywhere else" issue.

now, i have a moen setup and i already took apart the faucet and replaced the cartridge because i had this issue 2 weeks ago. I cleaned the inside of the pipe as best i could and flushed it several times by turning on the water at the mains but I still don't get any hot water coming out.
I have a feeling that there is some sediment somewhere along the line but i changed most of the supply lines during the summer, just not all the way up to the taps.

My water heater is old and due to be replaced but is there any suggestions on things i can do before i tear apart the wall to cut out the water exchange tube thing.

Thanks!!
You may have blockage due to rust depending on the age of building s pipes,,very common,,,have you removed your faucet cartridge and then turned the water on and off ,maye tri to get a wire up into the hot side and disloge the rust,rick