main water shut off valve leak / repair

Old 01-04-08, 07:34 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
main water shut off valve leak / repair

Our main water shut off valve is slowly dripping. We noticed it after we had to shut off and then turn it back on. The water dept says it's our responsibility to repair and they can shut off the external valve while we do. How do we repair it? What parts do we buy? We don’t have money to hire a plumber. Here are pictures of it
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...alve/whole.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...0valve/top.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...lve/bottom.jpg

Old 01-04-08, 07:52 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
From your last photo, it appears the leak (rust spots) are coming from the meter side of the valve (threaded connection). You could take your photos to a plumbing supply house (along with piping size - probably 3/4) and buy a new valve with fittings that would work. Unfortunately, with all the various fittings involved with the install, the potential for another leak appears pretty good to me. If you decide to tackle it, make sure you use teflon tape/pipe dope to lubricate the various threads - don't overtighten the connections - and make sure you don't cross thread anything while making your hookup.

Old 01-04-08, 08:09 AM
A
why another leak would be possible

Why do you think another leak would be possible? Do you mean if I repair those pieces it might leak or if I do not it will leak more? Please clarify. Thank you

Old 01-04-08, 10:58 AM
S
It is a pretty easy repair. You will want to replace that old gate valve with a ball valve. Preferably one that is made in the USA. Cost of the ball valve should be about $20. Looks like you have threaded joints so no soldering i s necessary. You will need a couple of pipe wrenches and some pipe dope. I would ask around the neighborhood and see if someone would help you. I think the job could be done in less than one hour. Have the city shut off the water. Remove the old valve and take it to a hardware store or plumbing shop to make sure you are buying the right sized ball valve. I think it is a 1" valve in most houses. Good Luck.

Old 01-04-08, 11:56 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It is an easy repair for an experienced DIYer - but could pose problems for a novice as there appear to be numerous threaded fittings that will all have to be watertight on the final install..... It's the "potential" for leaks that bothers me - not to say you can't do it! I agree with the above post - use dope or teflon tape for lubrication - don't overtighten/undertighten..... and be prepared to assemble/disassemble once or twice to get it watertight. Good luck! 1 inch would be the norm for this valve - but your photos look a bit smaller than that - could be my eyes....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: