Painting Black Iron Pipe

Old 01-13-08, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting Black Iron Pipe

I have a gas pipe that comes out the back of the house, which is then connected to a few black iron fittings before going to another gas pipe under a concrete slab. The gas pipes coming out the house and the slab are painted OK. But the black iron fittings in the middle won't take any paint and have become rusted. I plan to replace the fittings, is there any way I can paint them and not have them rust?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-08, 11:13 AM
Received 74 Votes on 68 Posts
Rusted fitting should take paint. Simply clean them with a wire brush and use a metal rust paint like Rustoleum.

Old 01-13-08, 12:40 PM
Clean the pipes well after rust removal,prime with Rustoleum rusty metal primer ( a specific product ) then top coat with Rustoleum enamel top coat in a color of your choice. Note that Rustoleum is a brand name for a complete line of enamel paints.You must prime the metal properly before applying top coat or rust will reoccur much sooner.

Old 01-13-08, 01:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by biking_brian View Post
IBut the black iron fittings in the middle won't take any paint and have become rusted.
Why won't they accept paint??

As noted as long as the surface is clean and a solvent based primer and top coat is used, it should paint with no problems.

Old 01-13-08, 01:58 PM
It's just a couple of street elbows, a union, a nipple, and a coupler - so I'm going to replace them rather than try to remove the rust. The nipple is a little on the short side anyway, as there's only a couple of threads going into the union, so it's probably a good idea to replace it all anyway.

I think the painters had just put the house paint straight onto the fittings without a primer, maybe that's why it all rusted.

Old 01-13-08, 02:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Iron should never be painted with latex paint - but it happens The small amount of rust started by the latex paint usually isn't enough to cause any concern.

Just be sure to use an oil base primer and top coat.