Black Growth in House Drains

Old 01-14-08, 02:28 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Black Growth in House Drains

I have a black growth in my Kitchen drain. I take a denture brush and scrub the area I can reach, but it will eventually grow back over the small grate in the kitchen drain. When I fill the drain with water and use a plunger, this black gunk will loosen some, but not enough to get rid of it.

It also appears coming out of my bathroom lavatory drain. After Hurricane Dennis, I was without electricity for quite awhile during hot weather. I noticed when I took the tank lid off my toilet, that there was speckled black marks on the lid. In that case, I took a disinfecting wipe and cleaned it off. It's possible that that around the time this problem started.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

HarBara

Last edited by twelvepole; 01-14-08 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Nonprogressive language
Old 01-14-08, 04:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 872 Upvotes on 763 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Have you tried cleaning it with bleach?

Old 01-14-08, 05:23 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
That black goop is probably from the use of anti-bacterial soap. The only thing I've found to keep it at bay is by using drain maintenance products on a regular basis.

Old 01-14-08, 07:52 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
There are enzyme digester drain cleaners available. They will digest organic material in drains. You will find these in the plumbing aisle.

Old 01-14-08, 02:42 PM
I see that a lot in drains. Nice and slimey? Just dont get it on carpet. I would not worry about it.
For the toilet, I would say mold due to condensate on the lid. Try a bleach tablet...not a blue gel one. Chlorox. Good luck!

Old 01-14-08, 03:28 PM
T
Drain maintenance is part of household maintenance. As indicated, there are enzyme digester drain cleaners that digest organic material and keep drains clean and odor free. Drain flies and fungus gnats are common househhold problems. They breed on organic material in household drains. It's a good idea at least once a month to pour a cup of baking soda into drains and follow up with a cup of hot vinegar which can be heated in microwave. The solution will foam drains clean. Sink, stopper, and the opening of the drain can be bleached periodically to disinfect. Repeat for bathroom lavatory.

As indicated, mold/mildew underneath tank lid was likely due to condensation. Turn off water supply to toilet, flush to drain water from tank. Sop up excess water with rags or paper towels. Scrub interior of tank with bleach/water solution to disinfect and then disinfect the interior of lid. Turn on water supply and flush toilet a couple times to rinse. Rinse the lid. Do not use drop in or other type of tank cleaners. These take a toll on the parts in tank.

MODERATOR NOTE: Duplicate threads merged.

Old 01-15-08, 02:18 AM
H
TO: marksr
Before I cleaned the sink drain with the toothbrush, I poured undiluted bleach on the growth. I went back several hours later, and the growth didn't seem to be affected. But this was my first time to use bleach. I like to try non-caustic ways first. Perhaps it was killed and I hadn't given it time to see if it would grow back.

TO: mattison
I do use anti-bacterial soap. When the soap first came out, I wondered if it would hurt the bacteria in my SEPTIC tank. Looks like I need to stop using the stuff.
Q: IS THE DRAIN MAINTENANCE PRODUCT YOU RECOMMEND THE SAME AS THE ENZYME DRAIN CLEANER RECOMMENDED IN ANOTHER POST?

TO: twelvepole
I did not realize that drains had to be maintained. Other than hair clogging up the bathroom lavatory every once in awhile, I have never had this problem before, but then I've only lived in Florida for four years now. I have tried the baking soda and vinegar (not hot though), but not on a regular basis. I will start doing that.
Q: DOES DIY HAVE AN ARTICLE REGARDING DRAIN MAINTENANCE? (I made a search of DIY of drain maintenance, went through several articles, but haven't found one yet.) COULD YOU RECOMMEND AN ARTICLE?

The lid of the toilet was my only problem. I wiped it with a disinfecting wipe and it's still doing good (until the next long electric outage in the summer).

Old 01-15-08, 04:16 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HarBara
TO: mattison
I do use anti-bacterial soap. When the soap first came out, I wondered if it would hurt the bacteria in my SEPTIC tank. Looks like I need to stop using the stuff.
Q: IS THE DRAIN MAINTENANCE PRODUCT YOU RECOMMEND THE SAME AS THE ENZYME DRAIN CLEANER RECOMMENDED IN ANOTHER POST?
It sure is one in the same.

Old 01-15-08, 05:51 AM
T
http://www.plumbingkey.com/keeping-drains-clean.html

More info on keeping drains clean in order to prevent clogs.

Old 01-15-08, 12:38 PM
H
Thanks for everyone's help. I've learned alot and found a great website. Thanks DIY.

HarBara

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: