Is this a gas leak? Pressure test.

Old 01-18-08, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this a gas leak? Pressure test.

I am getting tired of soaping fittings. My work hasn't leaked yet. I had a gas leak that turned up outside my house under concrete that was fixed.

I did a new pressure test, with appliances and meter disconnected, of 10 pounds for 15 minutes. The result was 9.9 pounds. My 15 pound gauge just barely shows white between the 10 pound mark and the needle.

I had a leak detector guy out with CO2 on the line to retest at 15 pounds for 25 minutes. He did not detect a perceptible drop in pressure, but since his gauge has a wider range, on his CO2 tank, it is less sensitive than mine, right?

Do I have a leak? Am I being too particular(crazy) about the 9.9psi result?

I am afraid to close up the floor in the kitchen, where I did the work, as is required for my inspection. I don't want to have to tear it out if the inspector fails me on the pressure test. I guess the next step would be to put a valve outside the house, where the pipe comes out of the ground, and pressure test the house. The gas line runs under the ground 100 feet to the meter at the street.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-08, 03:12 PM
Leave 10lbs. on overnight, if you can. If you can do 15lbs...do that. 15 minutes is not enough time for air to push out any dope. I test 25lbs. for 24 hours. Good luck!

Old 01-18-08, 03:26 PM
Thanks. I will do a longer test. I thought temperature drop in the pipe overnight would throw off the reading. I guess it would depend how much it drops.