Basement Shower Drain P-Trap

Old 01-19-08, 08:38 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Shower Drain P-Trap

I noticed the finished shower in the basement bathroom had a bad smell coming from the shower drain. Since it was also moldy and the cheap plastic turned yellow, I decided to redo the whole bathroom. I demo'ed the shower and noticed a straight 2" pipe dropping direclty into the foundation 3" drain pipe. I noticed black stinky sludge at the bottom of the drain. Here are my questions for those who've dealt with this before...

1. could it be possible that there is an actualy 3" P-trap under the foundation? I poured a bucket full of water down the drain and water did not rise to the point where it would form a seal in the drain...

2. if there isn't a P-trap and approx. 2" of sludge sits at the bottom of the drain, could there be a posibility that there might be an obstruction where the drain "Tees" into the master sewer pipe? I dumped 2 bucketfull of lukewarm water and added approx 2 scoops of the enzymes a plumber sold us a while back to eat up the hair/sludge.

2. if there isn't P-trap in the drain, are there any options I can buy to assure my newly installed shower has a P-trap? I can't see how anyone would consider any type of drain w/out a P-trap...

Thanks
Richard

Old 01-19-08, 11:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Others will chime in, but it appears the original shower was actually installed over a toilet drain, which has no ptrap. Is there a square hole in the floor nearby filled with sand or covered with concrete? This should be your shower drain and will have a proper trap in the hole.

Old 01-19-08, 12:33 PM
Shower

Originally Posted by apex333 View Post
I noticed the finished shower in the basement bathroom had a bad smell coming from the shower drain. Since it was also moldy and the cheap plastic turned yellow, I decided to redo the whole bathroom. I demo'ed the shower and noticed a straight 2" pipe dropping direclty into the foundation 3" drain pipe. I noticed black stinky sludge at the bottom of the drain. Here are my questions for those who've dealt with this before...

1. could it be possible that there is an actualy 3" P-trap under the foundation? I poured a bucket full of water down the drain and water did not rise to the point where it would form a seal in the drain...

2. if there isn't a P-trap and approx. 2" of sludge sits at the bottom of the drain, could there be a posibility that there might be an obstruction where the drain "Tees" into the master sewer pipe? I dumped 2 bucketfull of lukewarm water and added approx 2 scoops of the enzymes a plumber sold us a while back to eat up the hair/sludge.

2. if there isn't P-trap in the drain, are there any options I can buy to assure my newly installed shower has a P-trap? I can't see how anyone would consider any type of drain w/out a P-trap...

Thanks
Richard
apex333:

1: If you can't see water in the pipe after dumping water down the drain you have no trap!!, this also explaines the smell.

2: There are no options that I know of, you MUST have a trap, that means you have to bust the floor up and install one, sorry.

Old 01-22-08, 12:10 PM
T
Option

If you don't want to bust up the floor, you can rebuild the shower on a riser and install the trap there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: