Price gouging?

Old 01-19-08, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Price gouging?

I asked a plumber I used previously & was happy with to quote replacing bathroom plumbing specifically: Hot & cold to tub/shower/shower line up wall & sink and cold to toilet. Replace shutoff to toilet, shutoffs to sink 2 years new & okay to reuse. (Invision all "rough in" work, I'm planning on setting toilet and sink w/ connection etc). Set tub (cast iron) replace drain assembly & move drain about 1" to fit new wider tub. All fixtures are out, wallboard is gone, I am looking at bare pipes which come up thru the floor from a fairly decent crawl space (about 24" of space).

He also suggested I take the opportunity to replace the T at the sink (vent/drain) which appears to me to be in fine condition (albeit 60 yrs old) black or cast iron. When I asked why he said it's probably corroded inside (me thinks you can look w/ a flashlight and see no??) Looks like a hassle (and $$ bump to do this). Comments on this T??

Anyone care to venture a guess on the quote??

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-08, 02:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Get bids from a couple other plumbers and then compare.

Old 01-19-08, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have a lot of trouble with those black iron drains. They usually are rusted from the inside out. Take a phillips screwdriver and do some ice pick type maneuvers on it. If its bad you will likely find out.