Gas Black Pipe upgrade / install questions

Old 01-20-08, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Black Pipe upgrade / install questions

Good Morning all,
This is my first post here.

I am a DIY guy, I have done plenty of upgrades in my house, I am mechanically inclined however I have never done gas pipe installation, however I know I can with a little guidance.

Anyways here my project, I have a 1/2 pipe going to my current hot water heater and I need to upgrade to 3/4 pipe. I went into the attic and I have a T connector 3/4, 3/4, 1/2. The input to the T is 3/4 pipe one of the outputs is 3/4 going to my range and then the 1/2 going to the hot water heater. So I need to remove the T and install a 3/4 3/4 3/4 and install 3/4 pipe to hot water heater,

My question is how to I take these pipes apart. Are the pipes Right Handed and Left Handed threads so is easier to remove the pipes. What is the trick to remove the current T connector and what is the trick to install the new T Connector.

I hope everyone understands my question, if you need more information or pics, just let me know

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Brad

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-08, 09:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Brad: Welcome to the forums! Near or adjacent to this tee, is there a union? Maybe not, and that is where your problem is. Any time a multiple joint set up is used, there should always be a union so you can take it apart, then remove the other connections. Post a picture of the area you will be working in back to the next joint on a site such as photobucket.com and give us the urls so we can see what you have, and can offer some advice.

Old 01-20-08, 09:34 AM
Gas pipe

Originally Posted by chargedbird View Post
Good Morning all,
This is my first post here.

I am a DIY guy, I have done plenty of upgrades in my house, I am mechanically inclined however I have never done gas pipe installation, however I know I can with a little guidance.

Anyways here my project, I have a 1/2 pipe going to my current hot water heater and I need to upgrade to 3/4 pipe. I went into the attic and I have a T connector 3/4, 3/4, 1/2. The input to the T is 3/4 pipe one of the outputs is 3/4 going to my range and then the 1/2 going to the hot water heater. So I need to remove the T and install a 3/4 3/4 3/4 and install 3/4 pipe to hot water heater,

My question is how to I take these pipes apart. Are the pipes Right Handed and Left Handed threads so is easier to remove the pipes. What is the trick to remove the current T connector and what is the trick to install the new T Connector.

I hope everyone understands my question, if you need more information or pics, just let me know

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Brad
1: Why do you think you need a 3/4 line to your water heater?

2: Right and left hand fittings were banned many years ago.

3: Sorry, but I think you are out of your element

Old 01-20-08, 09:55 AM
shacko,
This is not out of my element, the reason why I need 3/4 pipe is for my tankless water heater, however I want to run the pipe first. I have done all kinds of pluming with copper and PVC, I just never took apart or installed black pipe.

Chandler
Here is the web site where you can view the pics.
Pic 0111 shows the T that I need to remove and install the 3/4, 3/4 3/4 Tee, the 1/2 pipe in the pic goes to my current tank water heater, the other 3/4 line goes to the range.
pic 0113 shows the 90 deg elbow going to the range.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562203275slVpls

Let me know what you think Chandler, Thanks for the quick reply

Last edited by chargedbird; 01-20-08 at 09:56 AM. Reason: added url
Old 01-20-08, 11:02 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Nowhere downline from this connection is there a union, right? Even if it means taking a long piece out it would be easier than cutting the pipes. Otherwise you will have to cut two of the pipes (after you evacuate the lines), replace the tee with a 3/4x3/4x3/4, take loose the two pipes back to the next fitting, install new shorter pipes with unions on each to make up the lengths you need, then make your connections and run your new line.

Old 01-20-08, 11:46 AM
Gas line

chargedbird: Sorry for the negative, but chandler is right, the only thing he didn't say was part of this line will have to be re-threaded if you can't find a union near-by.

If you are sure that you can handle this, go for it, but remember that gas goes BANG if you screw up, lots of luck

Old 01-20-08, 12:30 PM
chargedbird,

This may be one of those times when it's easiest just to have someone else do it, perhaps in CSST material such as:

http://www.gastite.com/include/langu...IGuide2008.pdf

Meanwhile you may find this useful:

http://www.paragoninspects.com/home-...blems-faq.html

it's a page I've put up listing the various issues I've encountered installing and inspecting tankless water heaters, for example you have to be careful to run 3/4" all the way, including all valves and flex connectors - restrictions at these locations are a frequent cause of gas starvation at tankless heaters.

Old 01-21-08, 08:58 AM
Chandler, no problem about the negative answer, you are correct about the gas going bang, safety first!!

Anyways, after I went back up in the attic to view the pipes (2nd time up there) I have decided to pay some local company to take that T out and install the 3/4 pipe to the garage. I must be honest, I can do this job, however my body and bones donít like being bent over and new positions. So I can drink some beer and watch this guy do my work.

I will hang and install the tankless water heater shortly after the 3/4 pipe is installed.

For all those wondering why I am going thru all this trouble. The answer is Real Estate, once I get rid of my tank water heater, this will open my garage to more real estate, so I can install a deep sink, and water softener.

Thanks for all the info, but I am going to bite the bullet and call some plumbing company.