bath sink - no hot water

Old 01-20-08, 02:59 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bath sink - no hot water

Problem:
New semi-detached house located in Ontario, Canada. (that's not the problem .. )
Upstairs bathroom sink has no hot water, this morning. Cold water is fine.
Every other tap in the house has hot water, including the bathtub in the same bathroom.
The sink is against an external house wall, while the bathtub tap is against an internal wall.
It has been cold last night - probably dipped to -18C which is 0F.

Tried:
Unscrewed the hot water supply under the sink - no water - so its not the tap.
Drained all hot water in the house by turning off supply and opening all taps including the basement utility tap. At the basement tap, water dripping from the hot pipe after some time was pretty cold.

Questions:
Supply pipes in the sink cabinet go straight into subfloor about 4" apart so I don't know if/where they split with the bathtub supply. Is it normal to use one supply for both, for an upstairs bathroom?

Since I only see pipes going through the kitchen below in that part of the house, should I assume the kitchen sink is on the same hot/cold pair as the bathroom upstairs?

Do you think a hot water pipe could freeze and the cold one stay OK? I can't verify if they take the same route upstairs so its possible one's insulated and the other one is not.....

Milo

Last edited by Milo Gancarz; 01-20-08 at 03:01 PM. Reason: missing info
Old 01-20-08, 09:07 PM
G
depending on the code that you have in Canada its most likely that the same supplies supply your whole bathroom toilet shower and the sink. Also It might be a possiblity that the kitchen below is tide into it also. all the plumber has to make sure they do is make sure that hey supply the right amount of volume to the fixture. so the can run 3/4in pipe to the kitchen and then run 1/2inch to the bath to supply all the bath room fixtures. with the freezing part of the question they would both freeze you would have a better chance of the hot not freezing then the cold. and if they froze then you would have a huge flood problem on your hands considering that water expands when frozen and will brake the pipes. The house passed code i take it so any possiblities of freezing should have been taken care of. because of the liability behind it and its code.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 01-21-08 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Removed outside link.
Old 12-15-08, 05:41 PM
J
what did you do

I live in denver dipped to about same temp last nite and now have the same problem what did you do?

Old 12-15-08, 05:51 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by Milo Gancarz
Problem:
New semi-detached house located in Ontario, Canada. (that's not the problem .. )
Upstairs bathroom sink has no hot water, this morning. Cold water is fine.
Every other tap in the house has hot water, including the bathtub in the same bathroom.
The sink is against an external house wall, while the bathtub tap is against an internal wall.
It has been cold last night - probably dipped to -18C which is 0F.

Tried:
Unscrewed the hot water supply under the sink - no water - so its not the tap.
Drained all hot water in the house by turning off supply and opening all taps including the basement utility tap. At the basement tap, water dripping from the hot pipe after some time was pretty cold.

Questions:
Supply pipes in the sink cabinet go straight into subfloor about 4" apart so I don't know if/where they split with the bathtub supply. Is it normal to use one supply for both, for an upstairs bathroom?

Since I only see pipes going through the kitchen below in that part of the house, should I assume the kitchen sink is on the same hot/cold pair as the bathroom upstairs?

Do you think a hot water pipe could freeze and the cold one stay OK? I can't verify if they take the same route upstairs so its possible one's insulated and the other one is not.....

Milo
Sounds like you have a small hole/gap somewhere allowing the cold air to the hot water supply line and it froze!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: