Bathroom remodel - should old faucet be replaced?

Old 01-22-08, 11:50 AM
Bathroom remodel - should old faucet be replaced?

Have torn out old tile and backer board in tub surround. House was built in 1949 and I am sure that the faucet is the "original," meaning it is a very basic cast iron (I think) unit with no valve for regulating pressure or the mixing of hot and cold water. The house owners (my daughter and son-in-law) are thinking about keeping the old faucet as they are on a budget and the money could be used elsewhere. I'm interested in opinions on this. Is it wise to retain the old faucet on the theory that "it works" and it is so simple that probably nothing is going to go wrong with it? Or does the fact that we have the walls torn apart suggest that we shouldn't lose the opportunity to put in a modern faucet body as part of the project? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-08, 04:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
They can replace it now, or replace it in a year or two and have to tear the wall back out. Heck, that thing is nearly as old as I am, and I've been rode hard and put up wet, bad knees and all, so imagine the wear that thing has gone through. Encourage them to spend the $100 and do it right the first time. It will cost $100 in a year or two, plus the labor to install it and repair the walls and paint them.

Old 01-22-08, 09:26 PM
If you look at it as a percentage of the entire cost it is a trivial amount to replace now as compared to replacing a year or two (or even five) down the road.

Old 01-23-08, 04:27 AM
What the others said. Since the wall is open, the only cost is the cost of a new faucet, which is less than $200 for a quality single handle pressure/balance fixture. I am surprised the old fixture still works. And if there were problems requiring parts, I doubt that you would find them. And while you are at it, install ball type shutoff valves, for future service.

Old 01-23-08, 09:57 AM
People re use fixtures all the time. Only problem is no one tells them that while they are sitting in storage, the rubber bushings dry out. It gets re installed...leak!
My favorite are the contractors who store diswashers and toilets in the garage during a winter remodel. They freeze and crack! Good luck!