Double sink in kitchen with 2 p-traps

Old 01-22-08, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Double sink in kitchen with 2 p-traps

This concerns a project already completed and is prompted by a related post I saw today. I'm kind of wondering if I goofed.

I installed a new double sink with garbage disposal on one side. I did not have much vertical distance to play with in regard to the drain stub coming out of the wall. The bottom of the deeper sink (without garbage disposal) is only 3-4 inches higher than the stub. Same thing on the side with the garbage disposal; the discharge pipe coming out of the disposal is only 3-4 inches higher than the stub. Because of this limitation I could not figure out anyway to run both sides through a single p-trap; there simply wasn't enough vertical room for the required fittings and connections. I solved this by installing a p-trap on each side running to a Wye which I installed on the drain stub coming out of the wall. This set up works like a charm but I am wondering if it is OK from a code viewpoint? If not, I'm curious what the practical concern is that would make it noncompliant. I have no plans to sell the house so probably would continue with this set-up unless there is a good reason not to. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-08, 06:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You actually want it the way you did it. The wye also helps channel the high velocity discharge water down the drain better.

Usually a cleanout plug is in the center of that wye, also - and may be a code requirement. That I am not sure of. All I know is that I would have one. Clogs downstream as a result of disposers are not uncommon.

One would think the disposer would masticate everything to bits, but I have found jammed up spagetti noodles downstream and rags and other stuff. (I'm the guy they send to fix these problems)

Old 01-23-08, 09:49 AM
Sounds good! This is fairly common when one installs a deeper bowl sink during a remodel, for a waste rough in that was for a shallower sink. My favorite are the deeper sinks with the drains in the back of the sink, close to the wall. Have to be creative there!