Connecting water and drains for Washer

Old 01-27-08, 04:21 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connecting water and drains for Washer

Hi,

I'm getting ready to install a new laundry room. I want to have a frontload washer/dryer with base cabinets on either side and a continuous counter over all the cabinets and W/D. I found a W/D (Frigidaire) whose top is low enough to do this without much trouble.

My question is about hooking up the water supplies and the drain. What I'm used to seeing is those all-in-one gizmo's that get set into the wall above the Washer. It has hose connections for the hot and cold water and a drain opening for the washer's drain to hook into.

But I really don't want that showing above the counter top. And I especially don't want to drill holes in the granite to have the ugly hoses popping up through them.

So is it possible to make the connections below the countertop level? I should point out that below the laundry room is the garage. It's all open there - i.e. no sheetrock yet.

Thanks

njescapee

Old 01-27-08, 06:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
You will need to maintain immediate access to the control and drain area, and the drain must loop above the level of the tub, so your box should be mounted just about at the top of the control panel. The "all in one" boxes you refer to is the best way to go, but having it hidden may not be in your best interests.

Old 01-28-08, 05:09 AM
N
I was looking at another website and it was explaining that it is OK to connect to the drain of an adjacent sink much the same as a dishwasher. The diagram shows the drain hose being looped up the the very top of the washing machine, I suppose to create a trap. It also said that it should join the sink drain above the sink's ptrap. Does this make sense, and is it legal?
Thanks again

Old 01-28-08, 01:11 PM
C
I would want a dedicated drain. Check the manufacturers requirements for drain height, you should be able to get it in below the counter top. You have some flexibility with the supplies, but I would keep the shut-offs easily accessible. You could put the shutoffs in the neighbhoring base cabinet.

Personally, I think one of the best features of F/L is the ability to put them on stands and lift them up, so you don't have to bend over to reach in them. I wouldn't want them below a countertop. In this case, function would win over form.

Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: