2 Vent stacks

Old 01-27-08, 08:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2 Vent stacks

Im installing a bathroom on a attic renovation The house has a Gable roof years ago they added a addition on the back half of the house with a bathroom that was orginally a porch this is the main bathroom in the house the problem lies in the DWV stack the main sewer comes up out of the ground under this porch(bathroom)which is where i want to make my main connection for the 2nd bathroom sewer the vent stack goes up thru a wall and terminates at that roof line of the addition since im adding a bathroom to the attic in the main part of the house the main vent stack would be lower then the 2nd floor bathroom is it possible to just vent the 2nd floor bathroom out of the gable roofline? or do i have to convert the lower vent to connect with the 2nd bathroom at a higher elevation hope this makes some sense:
thinker:

Old 01-28-08, 01:50 PM
F
Good question. I don't know the code-specific answer, but I can tell you that you want to insure that water from the 2nd bathroom never enters the vent system below. To that end, the 2nd bathroom vent should rise at least 6 inches above the highest water level (usually the vanity sink) before turning and going down to the original vent line.

We still don't know if this would be legal, though.

Old 01-28-08, 05:34 PM
pie in face

after looking at this today im still unsure what to do or better yet how to fix it without tearing the whole house up to install a new stack pipe any suggestions? heres a pic

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...0/DSCI0020.jpg

Old 01-29-08, 01:26 PM
F
If you do decide to tear things up and run new DWV piping and vents, rent a 4-jaw cutter and cut the bell end off the cast iron pipe coming out of the crawl floow. Then use a Fernco coupling to adapt to PVC DWV and start repiping!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: