Replacing shut off valves (the pull type)

Old 01-30-08, 04:06 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing shut off valves (the pull type)

I have a 10-year old home and the home builder decided to install these plastic casing water shut off valves under the bathroom sink that you pull to shut off and push to allow water back in vs. the normal "turn the knob" version we see sold everywhere.

I want to change the hot water line (it's leaking a bit) but it's part of the shut off valve - the water line can't be removed by simply turning a screw-type device. Have any of you had experience with removing this type of shut off value. I think my pipes are copper. I want to ultimately replace it with a normal shut off value so I can change the water line much easier next time.
Old 01-30-08, 05:52 PM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 36,607
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you turn off the water to your house, you can change out the inferior valves all at once. I am not sure if they are soldered on or if held in place via a compression fitting. Would be nice to know. You can cut the pipe just below the existing fitting and install new stop valves using compression fittings which will allow you to change out the hoses to your sink much easier. Let us know if you need further help on this.
Old 02-05-08, 07:45 PM
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 16
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Relacing shut off value pull type


Did you find out how to remove those plastic values? I have the same problem although it is the value that is leaking and I am able to change the water line.



Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: