Hot water pipe connection to PCV- WOW!!

Old 01-31-08, 08:53 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot water pipe connection to PCV- WOW!!

Have I got one that I don't have a clue about. Even talked to a plumber and he didn't know. Hope some here can give me some different things to try...

OK.. here goes.. hot water pipe to kitchen busted. No problem. It was old gavenize pipe (sp) so cut it off hooked on a pipe coupler? with rubber gaskets in it and other end hooked in hot water PVC pipe and tighten both ends down. Had another place where I hooked in a PVC 'T' then ran PVC down to another pipe coupler with rubber gaskets and hooked it into another gavenized pipe and tighten it down good. That was last year during the winter.

This year, had one of the couplers end that went to the gavenized pipe slip off and water everywhere. Well, smooth the pipe down, pushed it way into the rubber gasket and tighten it down. About a week ago the OTHER coupler slipped off the gavenized pipe and water everwhere. Smoothed it off and it was way inside the rubber gasket so the only thing I could think of was it was not tight enough. OK... wrapped teflon tape around the pipe, slid on the rubber gasket and tighten it down. Today, the PVC that was in the PVC slipped out and water everywhere. OK.... dried it off, re applied the glue and hooked it back to the PVC 'T'. OK.. That was this morning. Can't wait to get home this evening!!!

I guess my questions are: on the couplers, is there anything else I can do on the gavenized pipe end so it won't slid off besides using gorilla glue on it. (that stuff is good!!).
AND on the PVC slip. Is there a different PVC glue for hot water PVC vs cold water PVC??

Sorry so long winded but that's the problem.... I can't believe it !!! WOW! Three different places!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Ron

oh.. I was saying couplers but I think they are called compression fittings.... sorry

Last edited by roncayenne; 01-31-08 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-31-08, 02:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Ron, if you are using PVC to carry hot water, you have it wrong. Only CPVC can carry that heat. The joints of the PVC will heat up and release, as you have experienced. It is not designed to carry hot water. Change it and use glue for CPVC, with a primer.

Old 01-31-08, 10:38 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
In addition to what Chandler wrote you cannot use rubber slip couplings on galvanized pipe nor can the use of glue (even Gorilla Glue) or Teflon tape work on rubber gaskets or couplings.

A couple of pictures of what you are attempting may help to give you a better idea of what is needed in your case.

Old 02-11-08, 08:08 AM
R
Thank ya'll for the info. You know, I did go that route with the PVC on the hot water pipe and the guy at the hardware store told me I need a different kind of PCV for hot water pipe so he got it for me. Can't remember if he called it CPVC or not. Any way that is what I do have hooked to the hot water line..
If ya can't use a compression fitting with the rubber gaskets on the galvanized pipe, how do you hook galvanize pipe to CPVC pipe so that it will stay and not leak...??.
I will do as you say and see if I can get a few pictures of it.

Thanks again for the information...

Ron

Old 02-11-08, 09:25 AM
R
I found a picture of what I am using on the pipe to connect the galvanize to the CPVC, but do not know how to attach a picture to the post. Can you tell me how, please?
The pic was from Lowe's site and it show a plastic one, although the one I am using is metal. They call it a Compression coupling. #20610 Model P600U. One end slips on the metal pipe and you tighten it down, the other end slips on a metal nipple with threads that tighten to the CPVC. The end that always slips off is the cut end of the pipe where the leak was.
See if I can get some pictures this evening and put them in tomorrow if I can find out how.
Thanks!
Ron

Old 02-11-08, 04:18 PM
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Ron: post your picture to a site such as photobucket and either give us the urls, or copy the HTML code and paste it to your next post. It will make the pictures become part of your post.

Old 02-11-08, 05:02 PM
E
Sounds like a Dresser-type coupling. You have to be careful that the pressure in the pipe does not cause the pipe to pull out. I'm not sure what he manufacturer says on open, above ground applications like this, but I'd be afraid of it pulling apart. I'd clamp wire between two pipe clamps on each side, straddling the coupling, to ensure this does not happen, if it was me - if I used this type of joinery.

Old 02-12-08, 10:02 AM
R
Pouring rain last night so no pic. Will try this evening. After you mentioned the Dresser coupling, I went and looked at them. I think that is the coupling I am using. It has nuts at each end of a sleeve pipe and rubber joint inserts with a locking washer that goes inside the coupling around the pipe at each end. Slide the existing pipe on each side into it and then tighten the nuts down on each side....

Try to get pics today...
I do appreciate all the information from all of you and the help. When you are not use to doing this, it sure does get frustrating....

Old 02-12-08, 10:49 AM
F
Yep, if you are using Dresser couplings you absolutely need to make provisions to keep the pipes from shooting out the ends of the coupling.

For connecting cpvc piping to galvanized I would suggest using the threaded adapters glued onto the plastic piping.

Old 02-14-08, 05:56 AM
R
OK... tired to use photobucket but that site is blocked where I am at but used bayimg.com.. Here is the http

http://bayimg.com/LAjCnaABb

Hope you can see the picture. The left hand side is the pipe that I cut and hook the compression coupling to and that is the side that slides off. The water flows from left to right in the picture. As I mentioned before, there is a rubber gasket at both ends and a lock washer at each end. Just tighten each end down. I took some other pics if this is not enough. Let me know if you need those.
Thank you for all the help....

Ron

Old 02-14-08, 01:19 PM
F
If it is not a mile (it won't be anymore than about twenty feet maximum) to the next threaded connection on that steel pipe I would probably extend the plastic pipe to that joint and install the necessary plastic-to-threaded connection.

For hot water use be SURE to use CPVC and the proper primer and cement.

Old 02-14-08, 04:58 PM
That white pipe and blue glue is PVC> no good.

Old 02-15-08, 05:45 AM
R
Got ya... On the steel pipe there is a union about 2 feet to the left of the coupling. I hate to try to break the union because it is been there a LONG time. ( You know how it is on these old houses.) I found that I try to fix one thing and wind up fixing about 4! I will see if I can 'gently' take off the union and then hook threaded CPVC to it and go from there.

I will go back and make sure I get CPVC and not PVC and the right glue for it.

Thank all of ya'll for your help! This forum is an excellent forum to find out things and shortcuts to things that you would never know.
Thanks again!!!!

Ron

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: