75 ft snake doesn't help washer drain overflow

Old 02-06-08, 04:34 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question 75 ft snake doesn't help washer drain overflow

O Wise Ones,

Our washer drain recently started overflowing during the drain cycle. It was working fine for about a year. I called in a plumber and he used a 75 ft snake and didn't catch anything. He said he didn't have the equipment to help me any further and asked me to get hydrojetting done. I have tried using a liquid plumber kind of drain cleaner but that hasn't helped either. No other drains in the house are overflowing, so I don't think the problem is too far from my washer. Does anybody have any ideas that I could try out ?

Thanks very much!
Vivek

Old 02-06-08, 05:34 PM
B
Originally Posted by vgarud View Post
O Wise Ones,

Our washer drain recently started overflowing during the drain cycle. It was working fine for about a year. I called in a plumber and he used a 75 ft snake and didn't catch anything. He said he didn't have the equipment to help me any further and asked me to get hydrojetting done. I have tried using a liquid plumber kind of drain cleaner but that hasn't helped either. No other drains in the house are overflowing, so I don't think the problem is too far from my washer. Does anybody have any ideas that I could try out ?

Thanks very much!
Vivek
i am no professional but i am gussing if you snaked 75 feet you must be on city sewers?

you could have a partial blockage in the main line from a tree root?... your washer puts out more water in a short time that likely any other appliance you have...a partial blockage may not let it out as fast as your washer is delivering it and so it backs up..but other drains that drain slower never get a chance to back up

maybe a frozen over vent..or plugged vent from birds or leaves..if your vent cant let air in..water wont go out (too fast)
im sure the real pros will be in quickly to help you out

at most of the houses near me a 75 foot snake would be at the street!

Old 02-08-08, 12:47 PM
M
I had an identical situation with my last house. The cause was a tree root out by the street. The plumber had to dig up the entire line to find it.

Old 02-09-08, 09:15 PM
How fast does the line back up after the drain cycle starts?

Old 02-11-08, 05:57 PM
V
half way through the drain cycle

Meanwhile I went and checked out under the house and looks like the washer drain is like a very long pipe that goes all the length of the house (at least 60 ft) before hitting the sewer line. Also noticed that the rest of the drains seem to be connected to a much larger drain (must be 6" diameter) whereas this one is on its own and is only about 2". Judging by the sound one of the sections about 40ft away did sound heavier (solid) that the rest.
Are there any snakes with wider heads that cut through whatever stuff is in there? Or am I looking at replacing this pipe?

Thanks!
Vivek

Old 02-11-08, 07:31 PM
Is there good pitch? Any bellys in the pipe (bows). If PVC, cut in a cleanout and see what you are dealing with. Could be clogged with lint. Good Luck!

Old 02-11-08, 09:20 PM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
If you are looking at steel piping with an outside diameter of about 2 inches then it is 1-1/2 inch nominal piping. Modern washing machines require 2 inch drain lines to handle the high volume of water discharged by the drain pumps.

Also, if you have a steel drain it is probably full of carbuncles and other corruption that will significantly reduce the capacity of the pipe.

Replacement of this pipe with 2 inch PVC or ABS will be a relatively inexpensive job. Don't forget to vent the trap.

Old 01-28-11, 03:50 PM
R
Thumbs up Washer drain overflow

The problem your having is very common.TheGVii valve was invented to solve your problem.This product is patented and proven with thousands in use.The gvii valve attaches to your drain and helps keep the drain clean,prevents hose pop outs as well as the siphoning out problems. For more info go to gviivalve.com for this low cost fix. Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: