Running copper through floor joists

Old 02-08-08, 07:40 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running copper through floor joists

Hi All,
First time posting on the forums.
I'm remodeling our master bath. To facilitate the performance shower I need to run the 3/4" copper perpendicularly through the floor joists over to the shower, about 8-ft (presently just supplied with 1/2").
Is there a 'best' way to do this? I was planning on installing the copper in 16" sections, soldering each.
I've read a little about flexible tubing. Does it come in 3/4"? Would this option be recommended? Is there a brand that I should look for?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Old 02-09-08, 08:08 PM
Just make sure you drill in the middle of the joist, with the minimum size hole. Good Luck!

Old 02-11-08, 11:18 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Upvotes on 380 Posts
There's no easy way to run rigid pipe perpendicularly through joists. If you're close to an exterior wall, you could drill straight out the wall and feed the pipe in straight, though that usually works better when the house isn't already finished.

Take a look at PEX. It is flexible, can be easily attached to copper using shark bite fittings or similar. There are a slew of posts here about pros and cons about using them - it'll end up being your choice.

Also, depending on what portion of the floor joists need to be traversed, you may be able to notch and use nailing plates. I know you're not supposed to notch within the center 1/3 of the joist, but I'm not sure off the top of my head about the other rules.

Just some ideas - of course your method of 16" pieces being joined will certainly work as well.

Old 02-11-08, 11:45 AM
T
Structurally, it may be less damaging to drill the center of the joist. Notching the bottom would probably be the most structurally compromising option given the fact that most of the tractional tension in the joist is at the bottom.

Also, by all means, try to avvoid making the holes close to the joist's midspan. Closer to a supporting wall would be less damaging.

Old 02-17-08, 01:28 PM
T
Thanks for the thoughts. Very Helpful!
Turns out, when I removed the shower pan the floor joists changed direction. This will allow me to slide the pipe down the section of the house with the joists running perpendicular to those that I need to go through and just feed the pipe through the 3 joists I need to traverse.
I'll be drilling 3/4 inch holes approximately 5-6 feet from the supporting wall. 2 of the 3 floor joists (2x10's) are are doubled-up (probably to support the soaker tub that was there). Knowing I need to drill a hole each for the hot and cold are there any restrictions on proximity the holes can be to each other?
Thanks again!

Old 02-17-08, 03:44 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Old 02-23-08, 05:21 AM
T
Thanks a lot, Michael!

Search this Thread