Tried Fixing a Leaky Toilet....FAILED!!! Please help :)

Old 02-08-08, 08:56 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tried Fixing a Leaky Toilet....FAILED!!! Please help :)

I purchased the complete FluidMaster repair kit; I'm hoping someone is familiar with it. I saw them at both the Home Depot and Ace, so I think they are fairly common.

Anyway, I followed the directions as best I could and turned on the water valve....and the water shot out through the overflow tube that I had clipped down into the overflow pipe.

I don't understand why or how it decides to use the overflow tube - but it's doing it ALL the time. If I simply unclip the tube from the pipe - it fills the tank (Slowly and loudly though) - when the tank fills, the water shuts off and well; my toilet doesn't leak and I can flush it...but still, I know it's not 'right'.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

Old 02-09-08, 05:18 AM
C
From your description, the only thing I see wrong is that you disconnected the tube that clipped to the overflow tube.

When you flush, the water goes down the overflow tube to refill the bowl while the tank fills.

If it doesn't fill the tank with the tube clipped to the overflow tube, that's a new one on me.

Old 02-09-08, 07:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
The water through the overflow tube is necessary. Reclip the tube inside the overflow tube and attach it back to the 400. Let us know if it works, as it should.

Old 02-09-08, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
As the prior posts said, you need the hose clipped to the overflow. But does the tank ever fill with the tube on there?
As was already stated, when the fill valve opens, you will have water flowing into the tank, as well as the overflow. If its not flowing into the tank, we could only assume some sort of faulty valve, but they're pretty simple, and I've never heard of one failing in that way.

Old 02-09-08, 08:21 AM
R
Thanks for the posts....I guess I misunderstood what the overflow valve thing was supposed to do.

I'll try it again today and see if it is actually working as intended.

Old 02-09-08, 08:52 AM
T
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Here is a good explaination:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/toilet4.htm

Note that the water goes in 2 directions, refill the tank, and also the bowl.

Old 02-09-08, 03:46 PM
The little black tube shoud end ABOVE the overflow tube. That is what the bracket and clip included with the fluidmaster do. If you actually push the little black tube down INTO the overflow, then after the flush cycle, it will gradually siphon water out of the tank, making it seem like the flapper is leaking.

Post us some pics if you can, and tell us more about what the actual problem is.

Old 02-09-08, 09:05 PM
R
Originally Posted by 594tough
The little black tube shoud end ABOVE the overflow tube. That is what the bracket and clip included with the fluidmaster do. If you actually push the little black tube down INTO the overflow, then after the flush cycle, it will gradually siphon water out of the tank, making it seem like the flapper is leaking.

Post us some pics if you can, and tell us more about what the actual problem is.
Thanks everyone -

Everything you guys are saying is 100% correct; it's just that I've never actually watched the insides of a toilet flush. My tank was slowly filling up - but I didn't notice it. I was under the impression the 'overflow' valve/tube was simply a safety measure that would prevent the tank from overflowing.

I didn't know that a properly working tank shot water down the overflow tube when flushing - I though all of the water was simply released from the tank into the bowl when the flapper was opened.

So, it turns out - it was actually working fine the whole time; I just flipped out and assumed I had messed up.

Thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: