Problem with shower knob

Old 02-10-08, 02:43 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem with shower knob

I'm bad at describing things so this image should explain it all. This is only happening with the hot water valve, not the diverter or cold water.
If the image isn't working, please let me know.

From the very little bit of knowledge I have in this field, I can only come up with two easy solutions. I could file down the back rim of the knob so it could be tightened and not rub the flange so much. This would work, but it might look sloppy, especially since that knob will be shorter than the rest.
Second, I could some how pull the stem out further, but that is what I need you guys for.

Thanks for any help!

Old 02-10-08, 05:48 PM
This is an easy fix. This is a Price/Pfister shower. First, I think they have mixed escutcheons and handles that do not go together. You might just try getting a matched set of handles and escutcheons. But assuming that doesn't help, PP makes a stem extension which will give you just what you need. Those should be available at any plumbing store. They are quite common.

Old 02-10-08, 05:52 PM
V
Thanks for the reply!

So I could just get a "stem extender" from a plumbing store? If I put it only on the hot valve, it should bring it out just enough to match the other two?

If I were to get a whole new set of handles and escutcheons, then the diverter and cold water valve would be sticking out further than the hot?

Again, thank you for your help.

Old 02-10-08, 05:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
I'd go one easier. Buy new shorter knobs.

Old 02-10-08, 05:55 PM
V
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I'd go one easier. Buy new shorter knobs.
You guys are making me happy, I thought I was going to have to break out the closet wall to get to the plumbing to fix this! Now if only my bottom row of tile falling off problem was this easy!

Old 02-11-08, 07:33 AM
Knobs are not mix and match. I still think the basic problem is wrong escutcheons for the knobs, but all three of those knobs are too close to bottom out. You should fix all three.

Look at the PP parts diagrams. See pages 2 and 3 of the PDF ( labeled 102,103 on the document itself.) You have new style verve escutcheons and old style verve handles. This actually might work. The root cause could be the valve set too far in the wall. However, check this: You have generic replacement escutcheons. The genuine PP are threaded on both ends, and have an offset stop ring, so you can use the short side or the long side, to make the handles fit right.
http://www.pricepfister.com/website/...&%20Shower.pdf

Old 02-11-08, 07:53 AM
V
When you say "escutcheon" are you talking about the sleeve around the stem or the flange against the wall around the sleeve? Which one should I replace? FWIW, the knob is bottoming out on the flange against the wall, I can see how tight it gets when I shut the water off. I do not believe it is bottoming out against the sleeve.

Can I buy whatever I need to fix this from Home Depot?

Old 02-18-08, 09:10 AM
V
Could you tell what type the stem is by just looking at the picture? Is it an "H" like the other Price/Pfister stems I saw at Home Depot?

I'd hate to have to take the stems out and bring them to the store to match them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: