Removing a neoprene 4" cast iron pipe connection

Old 02-11-08, 01:33 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing a neoprene 4" cast iron pipe connection

I want to add a 4" check valve in my sewer line, but the place where I want to insert it has a neoprene connection to the closet flange and one about 18" from it as well. I want to disconnect the further connection and replace it with a PVC connection (including the check valve) and reinstall a PVC closet flange. This of course is in my basement, under the floor which I have already removed. I don't know how to detatch the neoprene connections. Any ideas?

Old 02-12-08, 04:39 AM
J
It sounds like you are describing Fernco fittings, rubber collars that fit over the pipe and have metal bands to hold them tight??? The metal bands can be loosened for removal, but the easiest way is often to cut them off.

Old 02-12-08, 07:41 AM
D
Removing a neoprene cast iron pipe connection -- cutting a neoprene collar

Actually not that easy, I'm afraid. These are the neoprene collar gaskets that replace the oakum and lead joint in a cast iron pipe (pipe and hub arrangement). I know of what you refer, but that's not it. This neoprene collar gasket makes a tight joint and with not a lot of space around the pipes, makes it almost impossible to wiggle out, even though it is the last connection on the branch. My reconnect with the check valve limits my space which may also not permit me to use the connect you speak of and am limited to another neoprene collar. What about using a Saws-all to cut the pipe and then cutting the neoprene collar with the blade of the saws-all? Has anyone ever cut 4" cast iron with a saws-all? A plumber at home depot says it's not a big deal. Has anyone ever tried to cut out the neoprene collar?

Old 02-12-08, 10:52 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 436 Upvotes on 388 Posts
A sawzall should make quick work of the neoprene collar, though using a sawzall with cast iron could leave you there all day.

I had great success cutting a 4" cast iron pipe with an angle grinder and metal cutting disc. Took only 5-10 minutes of cutting. Be sure to wear goggles and a dust mask though. I can't imagine iron dust is good for your lungs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: