Overflowing Washer Drain - Help!

Old 02-16-08, 08:10 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Overflowing Washer Drain - Help!

My washer drain (post pipe) overflows when the washer is on the drain cycle, even on small loads.

Last weekend I tore down the washer to repair a different leak and now the drain pipe backs up. I snaked out the washer line, kitchen line and confirmed all were running well out the main sewer line. This is an existing hookup. The pvc drain is a 2" pipe.

Thinking about the air factor, I held the drain hose about 2 inches out of the pvc stand pipe with water draining. It still backed up with plenty of air.

The house was built in 1952. The PVC is connected to galvanized pipe. I suppose I need to replace the galvanized with pvc. Any ideas on how to start a project like this one?

I will appreciate ideas on how to best fix this problem.

Old 02-16-08, 08:51 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Smile

odd that it only happened after another repair! if the washer line ties in to the same drain as the kit. sink/dishwasher, this could be a problem that was building anyway. the galv. line could be partially blocked, as well as the line it hooks to. when you say it drained well, was that under pressure(as if from the washer pump) or a free running water supply? it would be better to replace the line with pvc if that is feasable. i have found that a back up is usually due to a partially clogged drain. grease from the kitchen sink/dishwasher is usually the culprit. hope this helps. there are some good plumbers on line that will maybe give a better/easier answer.

Old 02-16-08, 09:13 AM
I
Arrow

Very odd indeed. That's why I'm hoping the problem is something other than replacing the pipe.

I hooked the kitchen drain and washer drain to garden hoses using the Drain King Drain Opener (which uses a huge amount of water pressure to unclog a drain) and monitored the sewer line flow. All seemed good, but the washer still backs up.

Old 02-16-08, 09:27 AM
I
Here's a pic:

Last edited by Intrepid1; 02-16-08 at 09:47 AM. Reason: pic
Old 02-19-08, 01:05 PM
W
Overflowing washer drain

Here is what I did when had same problem. Installed a 6' tall stand pipe(ABS) into my drain. Lengthened my washer's drain line to reach UP to it -and voila - been working great for 34 years now. No "air" problem as the washer's drain hose is much smaller diameter then the 2" stand pipe.

Will

Old 02-19-08, 07:19 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thumbs up

looked at the pics. pvc into black cast. just as i figured. a sure bet to back up. the black cast is very rough on the inside and catches everything that goes by that is small, stringy or sticky. other than roto-rooting the black pipe or replacing it, wilful had a good idea. even if you replace the blacik cast, the increased height on the discharge pipe will help. luck!

Old 02-20-08, 08:18 AM
W
Mike is right

Thanks for pointing out about how the rough surface of the old black cast could eventually cause trouble, cause that's exactly what happened to mine after 30 yrs! I removed my tall standpipe, and the black cast was heavilly built up with corrosion, etc, so I replaced it with the ABS - put the tall stand pipe back - and should be good to go for another 30 yrs. :-)

W.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: