Moen Cartridge Replacement Tub/Shower

Old 02-16-08, 09:49 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Moen Cartridge Replacement Tub/Shower

I have a single handle pull out type Moen shower/tub valve that is leaking. It is about 20 years old. I have located on the Moen website what would appear to be the proper replacement cartridge. I have removed the cover plate for the pull out know and the knob itself.

I cannot, however, see the clip shown in the diagrams that is used to hold the cartridge in place. The cartridge itself is covered by achrome tube or sleeving . Can anyone tell me how to remove the chrome sleeve to get to the cartridge? I don't just want to start trying to twist it off if that is not the proper way to get remove it.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me on this problem!!

Old 02-16-08, 11:22 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
The chrome tube pulls straight off. It may be stuck due to some crap and corrosion.

Once the tube is off you should be able to see the horseshoe clip in the brass casting near the outer end.

Understand that the cartridge may be stuck really tight in the casting and you will need to use the tool that is packed with the replacement cartridge to loosen it or possibly this tool to pull the cartridge.

http://www.faucetdepot.com/faucetdep...liateID=Nextag

It is available at the big orange box store.

Old 02-16-08, 12:12 PM
H
FURD,

Thanks, I was able to remove the chrome sleeve and get the clip off.

Is the cartridge supposed to slide straight out or is it threaded in and has to be turned out. I was going to try and remove it without the tool first and take it to the hardward store so I would not have make another trip, since I am not sure what actual cartridge it is. Always like to save a trip if at all possible.

Thanks.

Last edited by Hopperhop; 02-16-08 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Needed to add words
Old 02-16-08, 02:28 PM
F
You've got the operative word, supposed to slide out.

Yes, that is how it is supposed to work but all too often the cartridge is stuck so tight that you will learn some new words trying to get it out. The new cartridge comes with a plastic tool that allows you to twist the cartridge within the casting and that usually is all that it takes to loosen it up and allow it to be withdrawn. Trying to twist the cartridge without this tool is likely to break the cartridge and make removal even more difficult.

Sometimes even after getting the cartridge to twist it still can't be pulled off and that is when you need the "puller" tool I linked to.

I should have mentioned this in the beginning; be sure to turn the hot and cold water off BEFORE trying to remove the cartridge. Failure to first turn the water off will result in an impromptu bath and a real mess to clean up.

Old 02-16-08, 05:39 PM
H
Smile

FURD,

Thank you so much for all of your help, I really appreciate it!! Due to the advice you gave me I was able to sucessfully change the cartridge without having to call in a professional and saved alot of money in the process.

Have a great rest of the weekend!!

Old 02-16-08, 06:54 PM
F
Glad it worked out well for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: