New Kitchen Issue

Old 02-16-08, 12:38 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Kitchen Issue

Hi everyone. I just had a kitchen makeover that included a new faucet, sink, disposal and a dishwasher. There was no dishwasher before the install if that matters. Here is the problem: when the disposal is turned on, it shoots food particles and water out of the non-disposal side. After this happens, both sides of the sink end up with water standing in both drains for 5-10 minutes. After they finally drain, coming from the pipe below the sink, there is a "tapping" noise that I think has something to do with bubbles of air coming up from somewhere. That goes on for about 5 minutes as well. I have taken the trap off and it is clear as can be. My friend who did the work has no suggestions. I'll also add that this did not happen before the work was done, but my disposal was broken so I don't think it was generating much force when it was turned on. Any help/suggestions/ideas would be appreciated. I am fairly inept when it comes to things like this so I'd rather come ask people with experience than start mucking around first thing. Let me know what other info might be needed as well.

Old 02-16-08, 08:05 PM
Sounds like the disposal is the problem. The sink drains ok when the disposal is not used?

Old 02-17-08, 07:01 AM
H
This might seem strange, but it happens if I have the water running in the non-disposal side and turn on the disposal. I just started with a fresh, empty sink. I ran water in the disposal for a bit and turned it on to nothing remarkable. I then ran water into the other side for a minute, hit the water and then it started filling the drain on that side. If I kept messing with it, I am pretty sure that I would again have water in both sides and having it launch 9-10 inches out of the non-disposal side. Really, it shoots out high enough to get out of the sink!

Old 02-17-08, 08:51 AM
THis is a DRAIN problem. First, the Tee connector where the disposal output and the other side connect should be a baffle tee, not just a plain tee. But if water is backin up in the other bowl, it is because it cannot go down the drain fast enough. You have a clogged trap or further downstream.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: