Kitchen Sink Drains Slow

Old 02-17-08, 01:52 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Sink Drains Slow

My dishwasher drains into the kitchen sink and the sink drains slowley from there. All of my pipes (PVC) are clear and the "sluder" vent under the sink seems clean. I am by no means a profesional. Do I need one?? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-17-08, 02:16 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can you post a link to a picture of the undersink plumbing?

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 02-17-08 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-17-08, 02:59 PM
C
pic of underneath the sink

I hope this is an OK pic. I don't know how to add a pic to the thread, just a link. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 02-17-08, 04:21 PM
M
For starters, you need a "high-loop" in the dishwasher drain line, here's an example from a typical DW installation manual:

or perhaps a anti-siphon air gap if required by state or local code (for example, in CA).

Secondly, the DW connection drains much better if installed into a tailpiece directly above the trap inlet, with the other sink entering the tailpiece above the DW (see left hand illustration above).

That said, many AHJs no longer allow two sinks to share a trap at all, and they must be plumbed to separate traps.

Old 02-17-08, 04:56 PM
C
Tryimg it now.

Thanks Michael. I'm going to add the "high loop" now. I don't have the resources to add an additional trap this evening but if the problem persists I'll try that next.(It would be cheaper than calling a plumber). I'll post an update within' the hour.

Thanks!

Old 02-17-08, 05:22 PM
M
Originally Posted by cadsys
Thanks Michael. I'm going to add the "high loop" now. I don't have the resources to add an additional trap this evening but if the problem persists I'll try that next.(It would be cheaper than calling a plumber). I'll post an update within' the hour.

Thanks!
The high loop, BTW, in not there to improve drainage, but to prevent waste water from the sink flowing into the DW.

Old 02-17-08, 07:11 PM
High loop is still a direct connection to the waste system, Air Gap prevents any reversal of flow.

There's a partially clogged drain to this scenario.

High looping and Studor Vents may be legal in your area. Neither are legal in KY.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: