Frost free hose bib leaking

Old 02-19-08, 08:32 AM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I did something stupid, and now I need help!

First time home owner -- when winter came around, I checked to see if there was a way to drain my hose bib. There were no shut off valves, and the faucet had a label on it saying it was "frost free". I thought I did my homework and assumed all was good, and left my hose connected for the winter.....

Searching the forums now, I realize this was a big mistake -- should've disconnected the hose. Tap isn't "frost free" when something remains connected. Realized this when the weather went above freezing...

However, I got lucky. The pipe didn't burst. But the bib is leaking, a steady trickle out of the faucet. I have no way of shutting this water off, since there is no shut off valve on the line.

What should I do? I assume I have to fix this before we go below freezing again, or this water that's in the pipe will freeze again and burst it for good this time.

I have PEX pipe going from the manifold straight to the bib tube. There is a piece of pipe soldered into the threaded end of the bib, and the PEX is crimped to this pipe.

What to do? Please help!

Old 02-19-08, 10:11 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
You will need to shut off the water for the entire house and then take the frost-proof valve apart to check the washer. The frost-proof probably comes apart by using a big wrench on the hexagon portion right behind the handle.

Are you sure the manifold doesn't have some kind of shut off valve? Pictures are always nice.

Old 02-19-08, 11:35 AM
Y
I'll try taking the valve apart tonight. So you think there may be a way to fix it without having to replace the whole bib? What does the frost do to the washer? What should I be looking for?

I'll take some pictures when I get home tonight.

The only shutoff valve for the manifold is on the supply side, so that would shut the water off to the entire house. I'm pretty sure the PEX goes from the manifold straight to the bib without a shutoff -- I was able to easily follow the entire line, it is really short, since the bib is almost directly above the hot and cold water manifolds.

Old 02-19-08, 11:46 AM
Y
Oh yeah, btw, thanks for the help!

Old 02-19-08, 11:47 AM
P
Philadelphia Appliance, Air Conditioning and Heating Repair

Philadelphia Appliance, Air Conditioning and Heating Repair
We are open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. We specialize in Air Conditioning/ Heating Repair, Washer Repair, Dryer Repair, Refrigerator Repair, Stove Repair, Oven Repair, Dishwasher Repair and Disposal Repair. We service Philadelphia County and our service call is free with the repair.

Call toll Free: 800-504-8634http://www.PhiladelphiaApplianceRepairs.com

Old 02-19-08, 01:36 PM
Y
Will your servicemen come out to Alberta for repairs?

Old 02-19-08, 02:05 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

I did the same thing a few years ago. I did not have a ny drips, but some ice.

It was very cold (-20), so I went to HD and bought a "phoney" foam cover with a couple of stretch cords and installed it.

Because the line to the shut-off was in a insulated wall, there was enough heat in the pipes to thaw everything out.

That was several years ago, and it has not leaked since, although I now shut off the water inside in the winter.

Because it would be such a mess to repair/replace the valve. I just watch it and shut it off early every year.

I know I am on borrowed time, but tearing out the interior drywall, trim, etc. was not appealing. - This may buy you some time.

Old 02-20-08, 04:43 PM
Y
Okay, I took apart the valve, and everything looks good:

Valve
Valve open
Valve closed

In this picture you can see all the ice that built up in the last day, after I disconnected the hose:
Ice ice baby

I also better understand how these suckers work now.

Since everything looked fine, and I wanted to turn the water back on, I put it back.

No leak anymore... Strange.

All I can think is that there was some ice or something else blocking the valve from closing completely? Either way, I guess I got lucky.

So with everything good now, would you recommend I add a shut off valve on the inside of the house for this line once the weather warms up? Here are some photos of the line per your request (although likely redundant now):

Manifold (shutoff is below and to the right of meter). The bib line is the right-most tube on the lower manifold.
Bib line. It curls around, and punches through the joist around the center of the picture. It connects to the bib right on the other side of the joist (next picture).
Connection to bib.

Thanks again for the help. Glad I avoided a disaster.

Concrete: As you can see, luckily for me if there had been a problem, accessing the bib from the inside is not a problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: