Shutoff valve suddenly does nothing

Old 02-19-08, 09:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shutoff valve suddenly does nothing

The shutoff valve under my bathroom sink suddenly does not reduce the water flow at _all_. It was fine 10 minutes ago, and it just suddenly happened as I was letting the hot water run directly into the sewer line in an effort to thaw out a nearby pipe run.

This is the type where you need to turn it several times. Travel seems fine, and it tightens down as usual. But the water is still running full blast.

I know these things go bad, but in this manner??? Is that normal?

Old 02-19-08, 10:08 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Yes, it is possible. Most likely it has a rubber or rubber like composition washer inside that makes the actual seal. If so, then the washer has probably hardened over the years and broken.

I think you know what needs to be done now; turn off the main (whole house) water and then take this valve apart to replace the washer. Depending on several variables it may be easier to replace the entire valve.

Old 02-19-08, 11:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, furd. Didn't know they failed in such a catastrophic manner.

Getting to the hardware store today was out of the question, and I just needed to get it shut off so I had hot water.

Man, some people should not go near plumbing. Like me. My undersink area is filled with water, as are my bathroom drawers.

Finally got it sealed up though. Ended up connecting the hot line to the cold faucet. Guess the hot side of the faucet also had failed after years of sitting there disconnected.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: