Can't Get This Connection Leak-Free - Tips?

Old 02-21-08, 10:28 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can't Get This Connection Leak-Free - Tips?

Well, i just finished renovation of our master bath, but one last step remains...hooking up the sink drain. It hasn't been fun.

I can't figure out how to get the 1-1/4" chrome pipe to seal into the larger cast pipes on the left of the picture. I've snaked the pipe in the wall, tried two different chrome pipes (new and old - they both are snug fits and the old one never leaked until now), tried teflon tape, putty, rectoseal, etc. I give up.

Any fresh ideas would be great, thanks!

Old 02-22-08, 03:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Do you necessarily need the chrome pieces? I know it is on a pedestal sink, but using pvc would be alot easier and much more leak free than the chrome pieces.

Old 02-22-08, 10:50 AM
B
Yeah, there isn't a piece of PVC on the property and it does show where it's at.

Old 02-22-08, 12:36 PM
T
Maybe a stupid suggestion, but first things first...

Are you sure the compression ring is facing the right way? The pointed edge should be facing the pipe coming out of the wall so that the inside of the large nut hits against the flat edge of the ring. This pushes the ring into the pipe as the nut is tightened. And are you sure that the compression ring isn't damaged? It only takes a tiny nick for a seal to fail.

Good luck,
Tom

Old 02-22-08, 01:05 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Is it me or the picture????? Does the drain line look at a angle ,like it goes down hill to the right some. Slide the other end up some on the tail piece at the sink. Have you tried a new fitting that the nut goes onto also.

Old 02-22-08, 03:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I think you are right, Ed. But to the OP, replacing the pieces may help, as I note a little corrosion around the fittings, and newer fittings will fit better.

Old 02-22-08, 05:15 PM
You need to get rid of all the teflon tape, pipe dope, etc. These will INTERFERE with proper seal. The only sealing action on a slip joint fitting is the gasket. I prefer a runner gasket to the nylon ones. Clean this all up, get a new slip joint gasket in there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: