Toilet keeps backing up...

Old 02-23-08, 09:26 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toilet keeps backing up...

Hey all,

We have 3 toilets in out house. Two on one side and one on the other.

One has started to repeatedly backup. Not the toilet by itself - but the "middle" one.

It's not every flush - but maybe 3 times a week for the past two weeks. A bathroom upstairs - which may or may not share a common pipe (I frankly don't know)...

I say something is down there that needs to be fished. My wife says "throw some draino down it"...

The house is 10 years old and this is the first time it the toilet has done this.

How should we proceed? We are in the midwest in the middle of the winter.

What would a plumber charge for a diagnosis?

Thanks

Old 02-23-08, 11:38 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Sounds like something stuck in the toilet trap... toothbrush, barbie doll, etc.....

Plumber's rates vary by location - up to $100ish just for a diagnostic service call - and $60_/hr after that.....

Should be easy enough to remove the toilet - clear the trap - and replace - with about $3 for a new wax ring....

Old 02-23-08, 12:50 PM
H
Should we try to snake it our selves? Father in Law (naturally) has a snake we can borrow - but I have no idea what Im looking for...?

Just stick it in and turn?

Old 02-23-08, 03:19 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Get the father in law over for pizza n beer - and a little help!!

Trouble with periodic backups like that (in my limited experience) is that it tends to be from items stuck in the toilet trap that a snake can easily bypass (ie: toothbrush/comb). Those items can catch waste paper and such, causing a temporary backup from time to time - making the problem seem intermittent.

Old 02-23-08, 04:38 PM
B
i agree..pull the toilet first...mine did teh same thing years back...wife keeps puzzle book near the "john" for when she is "meditating"...at the time my son was younger and gave the book a whirl..dropped the pencil in by accident..too afraid to fish it out of his own "yucky" and flushed...toilet would work a few times and then back up...i pulled the crapper form its resting spot and there she was...number two pencil sideways on the wax ring catching paper and causing backups every now and then...my vote is for something there

pull old john crapper and have a looksee....it is the first thing that needs to be done anyway

Old 02-23-08, 06:27 PM
Use a closet auger, not a snake. You can buy or rent. Where in Midwest are you located? Good Luck!

Old 02-24-08, 08:32 AM
A
I say remove the toilet and look for the blocked trap. Years ago I put up with flush/no flush. Plumber came and found no problem. I pulled the toilet myself and found broken piece of porcelain that was loose in the trap. Easy fix. toilets are cheap and rings are cheaper. It's not that yucky! Good luck.
Ask your father in law to help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: