Commercial flush valve toilet replacement

Old 02-25-08, 03:35 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Commercial flush valve toilet replacement

I live in an old building and our toilets are the commercial style. I need to replace it but it looks like a new commercial toilet has the water supply spud from the top, my old one is from the back.

From the dimensions on the new products it looks like I will need to extend a pipe out, and possibly raise it (hopefully not). Questions I have:

1. It looks to be black iron pipe, but I've searched and this isn't suppose to be used for cold water supply. What should I change this to? The pipe is 1 1/4".

2. It's threaded so I'm hoping there will be a variety of sizes to make a good fit. If not, do I have other options for fitting it to size?

I've thought about changing this out to a standard toilet, but it doesn't look like I have a way to connect a standard water supply. There's not enough clearance, and I don't see how to cap the black cold water pipe. It extends back into my neighbors unit.

Last edited by eva01; 02-25-08 at 03:37 PM. Reason: new pictures
Old 02-25-08, 06:49 PM
They do make offsets for the vertical pipe to fit into the spud of a new toilet. If that wont work, pull everything out back to the tee in the wall, extend out far enough to fit the new toilet. Looks like fun!

Old 02-25-08, 07:15 PM
E
Originally Posted by Terd Herder View Post
They do make offsets for the vertical pipe to fit into the spud of a new toilet. If that wont work, pull everything out back to the tee in the wall, extend out far enough to fit the new toilet. Looks like fun!

I'm hoping the height will be ok, it looks like there's barely enough room. I guess my main problem is replacing that pipe that extends out. What kind of pipe am I suppose to use nowadays, and are there a variety of sizes with double ended threads? It looks like I need something around 2 inches longer than the current pipe.

Oh, I'm having tons of fun. Headache inducing, nightmare like fun.

Old 02-26-08, 05:13 PM
You can still use galvinized. I would use copper with a brass nipple threaded into the existing plumbing to prevent corrosion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: