Outside faucet leak

Old 02-26-08, 05:14 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outside faucet leak

I have an outside faucet that is leaking.
There is a plastic cap on the top of the faucet which I believe makes it a frostfree/anti-siphon type.
It started as a drip and has increased over the last few weeks. It's not nearly at full flow, but it is now a steady stream. It's a small stream, but being on a meter, I'm afraid to see my water bill this month.
At first I thought someone used it and didn't shut it off all the way but that's not the case
I did a search in this forum but am still unsure as to what I need to do because nothing matches my problem exactly. Most of what I found seemed to be a cracked faucet with water flowing out of where it shouldn't.
Since it's not cracked or leaking anywhere that water shouldn't come out of, I was hoping I'd just need to replace a washer or something similar but I don't want to dig into it if I'm just going to end up over my head.
I know I need to turn the water off first. And that's pretty much all I know.
I assumed I could unscrew it from the outer wall and take the faucet to my local hardware store but then I read on another site that it's better to have two people so one can be inside and one outside to keep the pipe from turning? (that may not be the exact term used) That sounds complicated and like it could end up a very expensive repair of my attempted repair. Not to mention a trip into the dreaded crawl space. I'd think I'd rather face a serial killer than venture into a crawl space!
I dont know what brand it is, but the green cap has A.S.S.E. 1019 around one edge, and 'Anti-Siphon' on the other edge. In the middle, it says UPC in an insignia that looks similar to UPS's symbol.
I did try to find the brand online but didn't have any luck.
On the faucet itself, it says USA and APB.
Any help would be appreciated and please bear with me, I am the worst kind of Do It Yourselfer....One who knows next to nothing (or less) but is going to Do It Myself ANYWAY!!

Last edited by sissy292002; 02-26-08 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-28-08, 04:09 AM
J
It is a prudent practice to shut off the water to outside spigots in the winter, to reduce problems from freezing. Shut off the water and pull the rod from the spigot. If the washer seems OK I would guess that ice has damaged the anti-syphon valve and will need to be replaced.

Old 02-28-08, 11:24 AM
S
I have two valves near the sprinkler box. I assumed one was for outside water and one was either for inside or would shut off all water inside and out.
I tried shutting both off yesterday (one at a time) and must not have turned the valve far enough because neither valve shut off any water.
It was getting dark so I gave it up til today.
I thought my ex had shut off the water. Fooled me.

Originally Posted by Just Bill
It is a prudent practice to shut off the water to outside spigots in the winter, to reduce problems from freezing. Shut off the water and pull the rod from the spigot. If the washer seems OK I would guess that ice has damaged the anti-syphon valve and will need to be replaced.

Old 02-28-08, 11:50 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
As Bill said... turn of the water supply - and take apart the faucet - you will end up with a long rod with a washer on the end - which will probably need replacing ($1.00 at a big box store).... Not necessarily a two person job.... make sure you have one wrench on the hex nut and one wrench on the faucet itself to keep the faucet assembly from twisting when you unscrew the hex head.

Old 02-28-08, 12:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi Sissy,

I'm sure it sounds simple to the guys, because they've done it before...and it is simple if you know what they're talking about!

Try this page with text and pictures: http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/18060/
and see if you get the idea.

Old 02-28-08, 02:33 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Attagirl Connie... Good job!

Sometimes we tend to forget that not everyone has taken apart a number of faucets in their day.....

Old 02-28-08, 02:39 PM
S
OMG Connie, Thank you soooo much.
If I thought you would take her, (and keep her til she's over her teen angst, 'my life is hell, not fair, why are you always on my back?, I have it so very rough, oh yeah, can I have 50 bucks and gas money' stage) I'd offer you my first born.
I think I'm going to be spending alot of time on rd.com.
Not that I don't appreciate the help and diy.com offers and the effort that goes into the site. I do. Very much so. But the addition of pics in the link you posted make it much easier for a girly-girl like me.
Through the link you posted, I found specifics on how to repair a FF faucet so the site was even more helpful than I first thought it was going to be.
Again, TY TY TY TY. I owe you one....so if you ever need someone to shrug their shoulders, shake their head and suggest you try diy.com or rd.com, I'm your gal! lol

Old 02-28-08, 02:48 PM
S
thezster, maybe I should have been more specific in my original post.
When I said, ".....I am the worst kind of Do It Yourselfer....One who knows next to nothing (or less) but is going to Do It Myself ANYWAY!!" I wasn't kidding!
I guess next to nothing was an exageration when it comes to plumbing. should have left out next
There are times that I can see the problem and have at least a general idea of how to fix it but the specifics and getting started intimidate me.
Under other circumstances, I'd dive in head first but learned relatively quickly when I bought my house that that philosophy can end disasterously and at great expense. Both financially and personally.
It's really embarassing explaining to a professional that the dents in the sides of your evaporative cooler are from the temper tantrum thrown when you couldn't get to a bolt w/out being double jointed. (OR, as he pointed out, using the right tools blah blah blah! Lesson learned, point taken, can we move on now??)

Old 02-28-08, 04:57 PM
S
and
New problem. Surprise Surprise.
I am including a picture of my faucet and quoted directions from the rd.com website:

Remove the knob’s retaining screw or nut and pull off the knob. Remove the packing nut by turning it counterclockwise. Some models have two nuts to remove

Sounds simple yes? NO! Had a hell of a time figuring out that the screw didn't move independantly of the handle. Once I figured that out, I figured I was well on my way to success. No such luck.
The retaining screw only turns out so far, along with the handle then neither will continue to turn. So I CAN'T take off the handle. Am I missing something?
There is a small hole (really small!) in the stem directly behind the handle that I thought might be some kind of 'knock out' ( could be wrong terminology??) to get the handle off the stem.
I'm hoping the picture will show that hole.

Put the knob back on and turn it counterclockwise to remove the valve stem. Some stems don’t need to be unscrewed but come straight out with a firm tug

I can't very well put the knob back on if I can't get the bloomin' thing off!

I can't add attachments to my posts I tried to add photos from Yahoo Briefcase but only premium users can post photos publicly. premium shremium...I am trying to figure out how to post a photo or link to a photo

Last edited by sissy292002; 02-28-08 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Adding a link...hopefully...link didn't work
Old 02-29-08, 03:28 AM
Smile

Sissy...try photobucket to upload your photos...and I don't want to hurt your feelings, but I think it would be easier to read your posts without all the accoutrement. It makes you appear hysterical and I promise you most responders don't deal well with hysterical women!

Old 02-29-08, 10:55 AM
S
Thanks Connie,
I know. I babble.

Here are the photos.

Fully assembled:
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...8_IMG_0001.jpg

Unassembled
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...8_IMG_0002.jpg

Notice the small hole I mentioned earlier.
Also, there is what looks like a really narrow hex nut right up against the 'body' of the faucet that won't budge....could that be the final step to removing the stem? If so, any suggestions to get it started turning?
It's really hard to get a grip on w/ any tool because of the width. I used WD-40 to no avail.

Old 02-29-08, 11:29 AM
A
Sissy,
What is the link to the web-page you are getting your info from? I was trying to follow along with the instructions, but can't seem to find what you're trying to repair. Your best bet might just be to replace the entire faucet instead of trying to repair it.

Old 02-29-08, 11:52 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

From looking at the picture you put on here. Id sure go get a new freeze proof BIB C**k and put it on

Old 02-29-08, 12:02 PM
Hi Sissy,

I think you're trying to remove the screw from the valve...that's not what you want to do. Try this link instead:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/remodeling/...1539094,00.htm

Let me know if that explains it better.

C.

Old 02-29-08, 07:26 PM
D
No, you don't need to take the handle off.

Make sure the water supplying the faucet is turned off. This may require you to go in the crawlspace. It all depends on where the shutoff valve is. But find it and turn it off.

Once the water is shutoff, turn the handle on the faucet clockwise, like you are turning the water on. When you have turned it all the way "on". Then get a real good grip on it, maybe with some slip-joint pliers, and keep turning until the shaft releases and the handle spins more freely.

Then unscrew the thinner, larger nut behind the faucet handle. When that is free you'll have to tug a bit on the handle, pulling it along with the nut and shaft as a unit, out of the pipe. Once you pull it all the way out, you'll see the washer assembly at the far end that you need to replace.

After you replace the washer, slide the shaft back into the pipe and reverse the process, turning the handle clockwise until tight. The whole operation should take no more than 20 min.

Old 02-29-08, 11:49 PM
S
AllWorkNoPlay, Connie posted this link: http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/18060/ The instructions I posted were from that same site but regarding repair of the faucet, not installation of one.

Ed Imeduc, The faucet is ok w/ the exception of the leak. I'm pretty sure I just need to replace the washer.
A new unit is $25 minimum. Compared to the cost of a washer, (about .25) I want to try repair first.

Connie, I mentioned in an earlier babbling post that it took awhile, but I did realize the screw didn't move independantly of the handle.
Thanks tho and I'll check that link.

Old 03-01-08, 12:30 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Sissy, you have been given good advice but perhaps not enough. You do need to have the water turned off inside the house and the handle on the problem faucet turned on (anti-clockwise) before doing anything else.

You then need to place your adjustable wrench on the thin nut VERY carefully and very tightly. It may take two people to do the next step but what you need to do is to hit the end of the wrench handle in an anti-clockwise motion with a large hammer. Hit it smartly but not so hard that you will break anything.

This will loosen the entire assembly from the part that is fastened to the wall with the screws through the flanged part. Once loosened you will be able to continue to unscrew this part (with the handle still attached) and remove the part called the stem. At the end will be the washer and it is held on by a single screw. Remove the screw and the washer will come off. Replace the washer and re-install the stem into the body of the valve. Tighten it up tight but it will not be necessary to use the hammer. Be sure that the faucet handle is turned "on" as you are tightening or else you will break something.

Old 03-02-08, 08:48 AM
S
Thanks Furd,
Unfortunately I didn't read your post until an hour or so after I fixed the faucet but still wanted to let you know that your post was right on target.
It was really hard for me to tell if that was a nut, or if it was just part of the faucet. Because it was so thin, I wasn't sure and was hesitant to try to loosen it, just in case.
Anyway, thanks to all for their input and help
Kudos to all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: