Connecting ABS to Galv DWV pipe

Old 02-27-08, 09:00 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connecting ABS to Galv DWV pipe

Hello,

I am in the middle of a bathroom demo. and and preparing to add another sink in the bathroom. My current DWV pipe is gal. pipe that runs into a cast iron vent stack. Can I use ABS and splice in the vent and drain into the existing pipe? I was hoping to be able to unscrew at joints and add in the ABS pipe, or should I replace all the glav. pipe and use ABS for the bathroom and hook it up to the stack vent and the sewer below the floor. http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...pipedesign.gif. Here is a pic of what I hope I can do. Also if you notice that I still have the original galv pipe for 1968 that I need to replace as well. Havent decided yet as to what I will use, copper or PEX.
any help, thoughts, comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
KnuckleB.

Old 02-28-08, 04:04 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There are ABS/PVC fittings to join it to most any other kind of pipe. Connecting to galvanized is easy. The hard part will be getting the old galv. fittings off.

Old 02-29-08, 10:37 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Upvotes on 380 Posts
I wouldn't even try getting the old fittings off. I'd just take a Sawzall to the vent pipe, then connect into your new ABS with a Fernco coupler. (probably the same with the drain, but it's not shown in the pic).

Keeping the galvanized for the vent should be fine, but I would replace any galvanized drain pipe with ABS/PVC. It's likely that it's all blocked up with gunk and crud it's worth the replacement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: