shower and tub leaks

Old 02-28-08, 01:44 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
shower and tub leaks

I replaced the faucet stems in both bathrooms, tub and shower and put in new shower heads in both baths as well. I wrapped the rod threads with tape on the shower heads but not the stems. The shower leaks (runs into the dining room next to it) in bathroom #1 but not the tub. I can use the shower in bathroom #2 if I don't turn the water up much. But if I turn on the water hard it leaks too. Any suggestions out there? I need help please.

Old 02-28-08, 02:42 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What do you mean by "stems"?

If you're talking about the pipe coming out of the wall..... you should have used pipe dope/teflon tape on those threads as well.... Then tightened firmly with a pipe wrench (using a rag between the teeth to keep from scratching the new finish)....

Old 02-29-08, 09:53 AM
M
shower and tub leak

Thanks for the info. The "stems"? are what I called the gizmos that fit into the wall, then the faucet handles screw onto them. I have a set of plumbers sockets? that I remove them with. I am going to retape all the handles and try that. Should I use tape or plumbers putty? This is my weekend project...if that doesn't work I guess a call to the plumber is next. Thanks again.

Old 03-01-08, 08:07 PM
J
Use " pipe joint compound" on the female thread & teflon tape
on the male threads. Make sure fittings are tight............
Do not use plumbers putty.
Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: