Rubber donut

Old 03-02-08, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Rubber donut

I'm trying to connect 4" pvc to 4" cast iron. I bought one of those ribbed rubber donuts made for this sort of project.Problem is that I'm having a hell of a time getting the donut to seal. I know it can be done because I removed an old one that's the same size. I have beat this thing to kingdom come and it just wont go in all the way. Someone please help me before I start drinking

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-08, 02:20 AM
H
Try a Fernco coupling. It's nothing more than a rubber coupling with band clamps on either end. They are usually carried in most hardware and big box stores.

Old 03-03-08, 06:06 AM
The cast iron pipe has the coupling on the end, and I'm trying attach PVC to it. I know the item your talking about,but I have never seen one will go over a coupling, and then the other side over a regular 4" pipe.

Old 03-03-08, 07:19 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Problem is that PVC actually has a larger outside diameter than cast iron.....you have to file or grind down the PVC to get it to fit...also make sure that the PVC pipe does not have a square cut,that is to say,no sharp edge at the insert end of the pipe ,should be beveled or rounded over.....

Old 03-03-08, 09:10 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 84 Posts
I've never used a donut as you're explaining. I've had such good luck with Fernco couplers, I wouldn't even bother trying anything else.

If you can't get it to seal or if someone else can't help you make it work, you can cut off the hub on the cast iron (angle grinder), and fernco between the PVC and iron pipe. The OD of each pipe is close enough that the Fernco will keep you nice and leak free.

Not to say your donut won't work... just sharing personal experiences.

Old 03-03-08, 10:46 AM
I can't cut the hub off because it's on a wye. I tryed another donut after ruining the last one. I beveled the pvc on the end, but that's not the problem. The problem is that the donut wont go in no matter how much soap I use or how hard I beat it. I can't put the donut in first and then insert the Pvc because the donut starts to grink up and not seat properly. The instuctions say to put the donut on the PVC,leave out about 1 1/2 " at the end that's going in, soap the outside and hammer it in with a wedge. Would it help if I grinded the inside of the hub? that's the only thing I can think of that's hanging this thing up.Well, I'm off to Menards to take a ****!