Replacing Main Drain How to?

Old 03-03-08, 03:52 PM
J
jkj
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing Main Drain How to?

Hey guys I want some how to help on replacing the main drain? I'm on city sewer. All the drain lines in my house have been draining slow for years. The toilets and the washer line are the main problems.

I know i need to have the phone, power and water lines marked so as to not damage them.

How deep will the sewer connection be? There is about 25 feet from the cleanout to the road. Is this something me and a buddy should be able to do ourselves. He does commercial plumbing.

Old 03-03-08, 03:58 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Might check at city hall . They should show you where the line is and how deep it is there.

Old 03-03-08, 07:27 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
What about checking the line for blockages first. Can your plumber ream the line. That could tell you if the line collapsed or is full of tree roots. or if the problem extends into the city main.

Old 03-03-08, 08:27 PM
J
jkj
Ive had a plumber come out the last few years and rotoroot the line, but it just doesn't seem to be working as well as it has in the past.

Am I correct in thinking that once this is done that I will have better performance out of my drain anyway?

Old 03-04-08, 08:41 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Upvotes on 380 Posts
If the blockage is in that piping, replacing it will certainly help. But if the performance doesn't improve after a "roto-rooting", you should consider problems elsewhere in your system.

Some people have suggested getting someone who can run a camera through your sewer pipes, this will show exactly how bad (or good) they are and if the whole run needs to be replaced or maybe just a small section.

Old 03-04-08, 11:52 AM
J
jkj
Well in the past roto rooting the line has worked fairly well. It seems that it works less and less effectively now.

So does that mean the line is collapsing or something else?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: