shut-off valve code requirements?

Old 03-07-08, 08:42 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
shut-off valve code requirements?

What are the IBC shut-off valve requirements for a bathroom? Or are there no shut off valve requirements for a bathroom? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-07-08, 11:12 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Upvotes on 380 Posts
My understanding is that each fixture requires a shutoff. Usually the sink is shutoff via the angle stops under the sink. The shower/bath can either have integral stops that are accessible by removing the round cover plate for the shower, or traditional shutoff valves accessible from the basement or access panel.

I don't have a code reference, just discussions with various building/plumbing inspectors.

Old 03-09-08, 02:45 PM
J
I don't know the code but I have a shut-off valve for every
fixture in house--when the time comes it saves a lot of trouble...............

Old 03-09-08, 06:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Likewise, whenever I remodel a bathroom, I install ballvalves for the main line(s) to the bathroom. This helps to isolate the bathroom during the remodel and allow the rest of the house to be usable, and when I am finished, I can just turn on the supplies (H&C) to the bath. It also is a fail safe if you should have a problem or need to make a change later down the road.

Old 03-10-08, 04:41 AM
I
The valves are handy but can be problems themselves as for being code I am not sure of that. I use well water and even with a softner on the system those little valves after about 5 years just corrode up inside enough to where they start leaking themselves if turned off and on or they get frozen in place and cant be turn off and on. So now when I plan a plumbing repair where they are present, I buy a couple new valves and replace them too if they are very old.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: