Washing machine line with vent

Old 03-09-08, 09:51 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 102
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Washing machine line with vent

I am moving my washing machine to an area in my basement with no drain plumbing. I will have to install about 24 feet of drain to the sewer pipe out to the street. There is nowhere near the washer where I can install a vent. I attached a drawing of my intention. Where can I put the vent? Can I follow along and above the drain and then connect it to the main vent above the sewer connection? Your thoughts?
Old 03-09-08, 10:58 AM
Terd Herder's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 277
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, you can run the vent back to the main one. Start your vent on the same elevation as the trap. Then give it pitch as you make your way back to the main vent (so it drains back to the washer, opposite the waste). Good luck!
Old 03-11-08, 12:43 AM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of Washington state.
Posts: 16,321
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
If that vertical pipe that you have labeled as "only vent pipe to roof" is also the drain from your other fixtures then it is not a vent but a waste stack. If it has the toilet discharge connected to it then it is a soil stack.

Your vent from the laundry discharge MUST connect above the highest water level of any fixture draining into the stack.

What this means is if this vertical pipe IS only a vent for the sewer as it leaves the building then you must connect the vent from the laundry standpipe trap to the stack at a point above the opening of the laundry standpipe.

However, if this vertical pipe is in reality a waste or soil stack then you MUST run the vent from the laundry standpipe trap UP to a point above the "flood plain" (the point where water would overflow the sink or bathtub) BEFORE connecting into the stack.

Your LOCAL code may allow you to use what is called an "air admittance valve", sometimes known as a Studor vent (from the manufacturer) in place of a more conventional vent.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: