Outdoor Spigot Doesn't work Properly - Help!

Old 03-10-08, 11:37 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outdoor Spigot Doesn't work Properly - Help!

Hi,

We have an outdoor spigot that isn't working properly. There is a valve system attached to the pipe that leads out to this spigot. It is comprised of a valve (with a traditional turn style handle) and a small cap that you screw onto what I believe you would call a bleed valve. I think the idea is to shut-off the pipe leading to the outside spigot and then drain the water out of the line through the bleed valve (for winterizing).

Anyhow, there are instructions attached to the valve detailing how to turn the water on for the summer. I have followed these instructions, but EVERY time I turn on the valve to allow water to access the pipe, water comes spraying out of the bleed valve (yes, the screw-on cap is on the bleed valve... I've even tried wrapping plumbers tape around the thread of the bleed valve.

Some water will come out of the outside spigot... BUT, water continuously finds its way out of the bleed valve in our basement making a big mess.

Does anyone have any suggestions????

Old 03-10-08, 03:24 PM
M
it's been a long time since i saw those draining valves, but from what i remember, they have a wee little gasket in them, if that is gone, the water will come out. i would probably replace the valve, or replace the whole outside tap with a frost-free hose bib. save the headache.

Old 03-10-08, 05:32 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Likely, the rubber gasket in the screw off cap is shot. If you still have a real hardware store in your area they will stock replacements.

If you can't find a replacement and the existing gasket is just compressed (not hardened and splitting), try turning it over and shimming it out 1/32 of an inch - it may seat well enough to work.

Here's a picture of a compressed gasket;

You get a smooth side when you turn it over;

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 03-10-08 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-12-08, 10:54 AM
T
That piece is exactly what is having issues... and your diagnosis is probably spot on: The gasket is missing.

I'll hopefully be able to track one down...

I have to admit that I'm a little nervous that this will spontaneously leak at some point --- is it really worth considering replacing this? (It was installed in 1994). Or is it a system that works well when all the parts are present?

Thanks again.

tsand72

Old 03-12-08, 04:25 PM
M
Well, those valves have been around for a long time, and work well enough. It should not spontaneously leak unless the main valve fails, as the drain is past the valve and is used to only drain the line from the valve to the hose bibb (to avoid freezing). Maybe you'll be able to find a replacement seal, too bad they didn;t put that in the winterizing instructions.

Old 03-12-08, 05:03 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
An old-fashioned one-hole paper punch and a thin piece of rubber will make a new gasket.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: