Tub Faucet Gone..............

Old 03-15-08, 09:00 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tub Faucet Gone..............

We are moving into a house that was a foreclosure. The previous owner took all the plumbing fixtures. Not a problem with the vanities and kitchen. The question I have is about the tub fixture. All I have is the hole where I can see the valve that mixes and diverts to the shower. The shower head is off the pipe and also for the tub.
The question is do I have to know what brand that valve is to rebuild it to a working system? I believe the original fixtures in the house were Moen, just not sure about it.
tia, bob

Old 03-16-08, 04:57 AM
J
In most areas, that stuff is considered part of the house and is not to be removed, but that doesn't help now. If the fixture is fairly new, and you can identiy it, you may be able find components from the manufacturer. But the castings rarely have indentification visible. Moen and delta are pretty easy to identify. A good plumber may be able to give you manufacturer just by looking at the casting, post a pic if you can.

Old 03-16-08, 09:14 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You can purchase generic tub faucets and shower heads at any big box store... All you need do for the tub faucet is ensure that the connection (O-ring vs threaded pipe) is proper... the shower head will be a standard thread. Easy, easy fix............

Old 03-16-08, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Bob,

If the valve and stem are still there, like was said earlier, replacing the shower arm, shower head and tub spout should be simple.

You can buy new trim kits incl the handle for just about any mixing valve assy. Box stores have some, but if you take some good pics to any good plumbing supply house, they should have you set up and out the door in 10 min.

Old 03-16-08, 09:30 AM
B
Taking pictures to a plumbing supply house sounds like a very good idea. Thanks to all who replied.
bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: