Ho to test a PRV?

Old 03-18-08, 03:10 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to test a PRV?

I was hoping someone could tell me how to test the PRV at the main water line entering the house. (or maybe if I need to at all?)

I recently got a notice from the city that they are upping the water pressure in my area by 32 PSI and that I need to ensure my PRV is in proper working order. My home was built in 1982 and I would guess that it is the original PRV still in place. We have never had any pressure issues/plumbing issues at all in the house.

Any info would be great!

Last edited by tha_dub; 03-18-08 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-18-08, 06:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I would just purchase a pressure gauge with a spigot fitting on it (available everywhere) and check the pressure at the outside faucet. You can adjust the pressure to an optimum 65# or so. With a PRV that old and if they are getting ready to pump you up, it may be a good time to replace it. Nothing could be worse than to come home from work with a basement full of water due to a bad prv and 120# of pressure busting fittings on the water heater.

Old 03-19-08, 07:59 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info.... Let me repeat just so I understand you correctly....

If I get a pressure gauge and attach to the outside tap (I assume I turn it on full) I can the go adjust the prv to 65psi and that, "should" indicate that it is working correctly? I'm not fully aware of the inner working of a PRV but let me know if this is correct. If I set the pressure to 65psi before the city ups the pressure I assume once they up the pressure the inside pressure will also go up and I'll need to adjust the prv again?

I'm actually in a good position for this pressure increase... A lot of my neighbors have 100 year old houses that either don't have a PRV or they can't find it. The city is refusing to pay for anything related to the pressure increase but I'm just about positive there are going to be a lot of burst pipes....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: