Do you glue the shower drain

Old 03-20-08, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you glue the shower drain

Just finishing up with the install of a new shower stall in the basement. Finished moving the drain (down) pipe to new location, and it's at the correct height to connect with the new shower drain on the floor pan. I have glued the drain pipe to the collar that fits into the shower drain. My Question - Is it necessary to glue this collar into the shower drain? This seems impossible because the shower drain is screwed tight to the floor pan. BTW - the old shower stall pan wasn't glued at the shower drain (to the drain pipe collar). Any ideas which is correct?? Thanks...

Old 03-20-08, 03:41 PM
J
Not quite sure what part you are referring to. Some parts must be 'glued' and some need screw joints for maintenance. A pic might help use determine which you have.

Old 03-21-08, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the answer JB; my son was anxious to get the job completed so we just placed the shower pan with the drain screwed in tight over the drain pipe, and made sure the pipe collar extended up inside the drain about 3/4 inch. If we had used any PVC glue we could never get the floor pan up again if we ever needed to do that. I don't think it will leak; water should go down drain and into drain pipe just fine... we hope.
Again thanks.

Old 03-22-08, 03:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If you are building your pan, and using a rubber liner, there is an appropriate drain to use that is glued in after the cbu is placed on the floor and floated. There is a removable collar under which you place your rubber liner and replace tightening with screws. The remaining part is a screw in insert that is adjustable to the depth of your tile and is grouted in at the proper height after tile installation. Hope you used this one.

Old 03-22-08, 05:59 AM
T
sounds like a fiberglass pan. if it is you can use the expanding rubber joint to facilitate later repair or glue it. NEVER leave a shouldn't leak issue with plumbing.

Old 03-22-08, 12:03 PM
That's right. It is one of those solid fiberglass pans that just sit on the concrete floor. The pan's drain is in the corner 12 in from each wall and extends about 2.25 inches beneath the flat floor. The sewer pipe, that the pan drain attaches to, has a collar that goes up inside the pan drain about 3/4 inch. There are no screws or screw holes to use. Again, I "think" the water "should" go into the drain and down the sewer pipe without any problem if I don't use PVC glue on it. If it doesn't, it will soak into the sand beneath our cement floor and I'm sure the only way we will be able to tell is from a strange odor in 6 to 12 months. I guess time will tell, but for now it sure looks good.

Old 03-22-08, 12:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Like tooljims said, if this drain has a rubber ribbed insert in it, that is exactly what you need with the fiberglas base. The drain should be fastened to the shower base with a spanner nut and plumber's putty, making it fully a part of the base; then it is set on the stub and the rubber forced around the stub. Let us know if you have anything other than this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: