Water Pressure Regulator Going bad - Again!

Old 03-20-08, 11:36 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water Pressure Regulator Going bad - Again!

My pressure regulater is going bad again. I just replaced it 6 months ago. It basically makes a squeaking noise when ever the outside sprinkler system shuts off.

It's sort of like a hammer effect. When the sudden stop of flow to the outside sprinklers it like the water is then forced thru the pressure regulater and it can't control it for a second.

I have a tankless water heater with a one way valve on it. I can hear the water been forced into the house pipes when the sprinklers go off.

What can I do to stop this? Any suggestions?

The street pressure can be 100psi to 120psi.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-08, 03:38 PM
J
Water hameer in the household plumbing has noting to do with water hammer, unless the pressure is excessive, above 80PSI. What causes water hammer is no place for the flowing water to go when a valve quickly closes. You need an air space somewhere in the system, preferrably at each quick closing valve(anything electically or mechanically controlled). Most houses have at least one such device. A vertical pipe at the water inlet about 2-3' high with a cap on it. That is supposed to be full of air, but becomes water logged over time. To fix that, drain all the water to below that point and allow it to refill with air. There are lots of antihammer devices that can be easily added at a specific valve.

Old 03-20-08, 04:50 PM
M
The sprinker valves are just the standard ones that I bought at home depot. It is electronically controlled by a timer. I believe they an antisiphon valve built into them.

I do not have a 2'-3' vertical pipe before or after the house's pressure regulator. The PR is also right in front of the house. I am not sure why they put it there.

Can I put something right infront of the sprinkler valve manifold. Since the main pipe coming into the manifold is 3" pvc (if i remember correctly) it would be easier to make the fix there.

What could I put there to give make a shock absorber? Do they sell something at Home Depot for this?

My street pressure is about 100psi going nto the PR and the sprinkler valves.

Old 03-22-08, 06:21 AM
T
you can purchase an expansion tank at any good supply company. we always install one with a tankless on a re-circ system. all one needs is a tee and a mounting location.

Old 03-22-08, 07:49 AM
M
yesterday I installed a vertical 2' vertical 1" diameter pvc pipe at the end of my sprinkler system manifold (12 valves). It is filled with air and my hope is that it will act as water hammer arrester.

When the sprinkers went on and off this morning I didn't here the pressure regulator squeak and/or the check valve slap agaist itself.

For now I'm assuming that my solution worked for less then $4

Old 03-28-08, 12:19 PM
M
Well, my shock absorber/arrester idea does not seem to work.

I am thinking now that when the sprinkler valves are turning off and switching to the next valve, the sprinkler system is sucking the water OUT of the house forcing the water to go backwards thru the house pressure regulator thus making the squeak noise in the regulator.

I think the problem is occuring when one valve is closing and the other one is opening up at the same time. Not sure.

I use Lawn Genie valves on all the sprinkler manifolds.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Old 03-30-08, 12:42 AM
If your home-made air chamber worked for a little while, then stopped, it may have just filled with water. If there's a PRV on the incoming water line, an expansion tank is a good idea. They aren't expensive or difficult to install.