Leaking Shower Head

Old 03-20-08, 02:53 PM
B
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Leaking Shower Head

In a stall shower I have the shower head continuously leaks even when the Hot and Cold water handles are shut. I took the head off and water still drips from the pipe. From what I've read usually the culprit for a leaking shower head is a washer in the head or where it connects to the pipe but this doesn't seem to make sense to me because if the Hot and Cold water valves are off there should be no water getting to the head in the first place. This would suggest the problem lies with either the Hot or Cold water handles - their not doing their job stopping the flow of water to the shower head. The problem though is how do you determine this without having to break the shower stall's tiles and get behind the wall? The handles are older style "X" shaped - I don't see any screws in their center and the metal skirt where they meet the shower wall appears sealed. How do I fix this problem?? Thanks

Old 03-20-08, 03:21 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water dripping from the shower head is likely due to worn/damaged washers on the hot/cold faucets. If the water is warm, it is the hot side, if cold the cold side. You need to shut off the water supply to the shower, remove the handles and escutcheons, then the valve. The washer is part of the valve stem. Replace with the correct size, lubricate the valve stem helix and screws, reassemble. While the valve stems are out, look into the valve body and check the condition of the valve seats. You are looking for corrosion or cracks in the washer seat. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: