low pressure at one sink?

Old 03-22-08, 07:27 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question low pressure at one sink?

There's one place in the house where the water practically dribbles out.

It's in the bathroom sink, only the HOT water faucet. The pressure in the corresponding cold faucet is fine. The hot water in the shower (of the same bathroom) is fine.

The pressure has gradually decreased over the past year or so [it wasn't always this way]. It's down to about 20% of the cold faucet, and doesn't really even get hot, unless you let it run for several minutes

I can't provide much more info except the following...

In an attempt to isolate the problem, I turned off the hot water valve under the sink, and disconnected the flexible hose [that connects to the faucet]. Result? The pressure is also weak coming out at the shutoff.

So, I think the problem is with the plumbing somewhere, but like I said, this is the ONLY place in the house where it's a problem.

Any thoughts?

Will I have to tear down walls\ceilings to replace pipes?

Thanks

Old 03-22-08, 07:43 AM
S
...I failed to mention that the house is about 60 yrs old. Original plumbing, some of which includes galvanized piping.

I saw a similar recent posting that mentioned air coming out the low-flow faucet. No such issue with mine... Just low pressure

Old 03-22-08, 03:11 PM
S
ok, another update...

i went to the Home Depot to see if i could get an auger or some tool to flush the line [or to see if there was any point], and spoke with the master plumber...

He said to check the shut-off valve under the sink, and eliminate it as a potential problem before doing anything else.

so, i came home, shut off the main water supply, disconnected the shut-off valve under the sink, and turned the main supply back on...

Same low pressure.

I *did* notice in this exercise that the vertical portion of the pipe is indeed galvanized

The HD plumber said that, after this exercise, I'll need to hire a plumber to do a "reverse flush"

Thoughts?

Old 03-23-08, 05:54 AM
T
I like to rule out the easiest and cheapest possibilities first before calling in a plumber (heck, I've never called in a plumber).... You've eliminated the faucet as the culprit - now back down the line and eliminate the shut off valve as the culprit (they can clog also). Turn off the main supply - take the valve out of the shut off - (this can get messy) have someone turn the water on briefly to see how it flows (have lots of towels available). You may be able to tell something by the internal condition of the shut off valve before making the mess.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: