Brass hose bib on cpvc

Old 03-22-08, 12:50 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brass hose bib on cpvc

I got this idea from another forum and wanted to sail it past everyone on here. I am replacing an aging plumbing system in my house with a cpvc one. In my old system the shut off valve just inside of the meter was a brass stop and waste valve that had a small bleeder valve on the side. Actually this was the only meter that the prior owners had in the system besides the curb valve. The person from the other form placed a hose bib just downstream of the inside shutoff valve so that he was able to bleed down the system quicker when he would do any repairs.
ANyway the question that I have is about placing a solvent/threaded/solvent T in line and screwing a brass hose bib into the thresded female leg of the T. Has anyone had any problems or know of any problems placing a threaded brass valve into a threadded female fitting on a T? I plan on using teflon tape on the threads and not overtightning the hose bib but wanted to see how everyone felt about this being done?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-08, 01:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I, likewise, try to think down the road when I make installations. Placing a bleeder valve inline is not a bad idea, but relying on the tensile strength of the cpvc alone may not be a good idea, due to the twisting and turning when you open or close the valve. I would find a way to permanently fix the valve to an exposed piece of wood and running the cpvc to it. One way is to take a piece of 2x12, drill a 1" hole in it, mount the sillcock to it and fasten it to a solid surface such as a basement stud wall, etc., then pipe it up. Or, plan B would be to install a brass ball valve inline with a bleed screw away from the supply

Old 03-22-08, 01:16 PM
E
One of your problems is that if you have the threaded t already inline and try to directly couple the valve to it, the time the valve tightens just right, you may not have the faucet pointing down. Then you start having to play around with subtracting or adding more tape and/or dope.

You already have heard that female cpvc sockets can split if to much tightening force is applied I am assuming, otherwise you would not be asking for an opinion. It would have been better not to have had the t inline yet, and first tightened the valve into the t before gluing it.

I would consider converting to male cpvc nipple to female valve instead. Or taking it real easy and not overtightening. You have one thing going for you, being that the water will always be cold, and there won't be any possible cold turning to hot water that could expand and contract with that fitting.

Years ago, before I ever heard of such a thing, I split the female cpvc fitting I screwed onto the male nipple coming out of a water heater. (Albeit the female socket in a t might be stronger than a purely open female-threaded adapter socket) This female fittings usually have a rubber gasket inside, but IMO is not the best system.

Old 03-22-08, 01:45 PM
B

Here is a pic to help out. The entire setup comes out from the wall about six inches, takes a few turns then heads toward the wather heater, etc. I plan on placing a support mount inline with it to support it so that will not be a problem. If I plan on going this route (hose big to female threaded T) I would already have the hose bib in place before putting the T in line (already thought about that). Using a double male and a female hose bib has been a thought as well.
I might just go with a solvent T all the way around, place a small section of cpvc on the leg and then mounting the bib within the support frame. The bottom line is that I want a better way to drain down the system and not have to depend on a small bleeder valve to drain the whole thing down. Been there done that and want a better way.

Last edited by bmolchany; 03-22-08 at 01:52 PM. Reason: image not showing up
Old 03-22-08, 01:56 PM
Wink

I see all copper there. Id put a T right on the meter there go up to the water line and off the T to the right with a boiler c##ck

Old 03-22-08, 09:16 PM
B
The problem is that all of the copper leaks like you would not believe. The downstream valve that you see leaks like you would not believe and the system beyond that is terrible.

Old 03-27-08, 02:19 PM
B
Well guys, here is the solution that I came up with. Do not pay attention to the lack of support framework behind the line since the pic was taken right after installation. I will be putting it in place later today.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/100_0518.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/100_0516.jpg

Old 03-27-08, 04:39 PM
E
That looks nice.

Old 03-27-08, 04:56 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Good job. You'll grow to hate the pvc ball valve, though. A brass one would give less headaches.

Old 03-27-08, 05:37 PM
B
With any luck I will not have to play with it too often.