Frozen Drain Line

Old 03-31-08, 12:47 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Frozen Drain Line

I recently had a frozen drain line. I came up with a pretty good method of thawing the drain line. It froze while I was on vacation for 10 days. The drain line was frozen for about 25 feet. I bought a 30 foot rubber air hose. I cut off one of the end fittings and I attached the other end to a commercial wall paper steamer. ( I rented the steamer.) I snaked the hose into the drain line till I found where the ice started and then heated up the wall paper steamer. It took about 2 hours to thaw the 25' of ice.
How did the ice occur you ask? Well it was very cold while I was gone and the thermostat was set at 55 degrees and I shut the water off at the main before I left. BUTTTTTTTT I forgot that my high efficiency furnace expells water into the main drain every so often, so that is where the water came from. Anyway I slayed another dragon by using some good ol Yankee thinking.

Old 03-31-08, 01:59 PM
J
I was curious-is your good old yankee drain above ground
or below...............

Old 03-31-08, 04:06 PM
S
I live in Minnesota so I assure you the drain line is underground. It runs under my cement patio which is protected by an overhead deck. I suspect that the lack of snow insulation contributed to the drain freezing.

Old 04-02-08, 07:16 AM
J
Our drain line here in MI is approx 8-9' under ground--
never saw or heard of any ice around it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: