Bathroom Leak, Could It Be???

Old 04-02-08, 06:40 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Leak, Could It Be???

Hi there,

We have all the water turned off in the leaking upstairs bathroom. If I pour a single glass of water down the sink or tub it immediately leaks down thru the kitchen ceiling = so it must be the drain pipe, right?

We looked at all the pipes we could access and couldnt see any wet pipes.

Can the drain pipe be replaced without taking down the ceiling?

I dont really know what I am talking about but just trying to figure this out logically before bringing in the plumber.

thanks for any info,
frank

Old 04-02-08, 07:15 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Since the leak occurs from both the sink and tub locations, it does sound like your sewer line has a crack or has come apart at a fitting connection. Not knowing what the sewer line configuration looks like, I can only assume the break is in the line at some fitting connection where the sink and tub locations meet or somewhere just down the line after the two lines have tied into the 3" line.

Old 04-02-08, 07:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
To further answer your questions, you would be better off removing a section of ceiling to locate the problem. It may be bigger, but at least you will have an inspection hole. You will have to replace it anyway if the leak has weakened the drywall. Cut it and be done with worrying about the ceiling. It all can be repaired.

Old 04-03-08, 06:48 AM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
When cutting drywall

I agree with Chandler. The drywall is shot where wet and you need an inspection hole. I find that it saves a lot of time in the process to carefully mark a rectangular area to cut out. This makes cutting a patch of drywall much easier. I have followed plumbers who have just bashed out hole with a hammer.

Old 04-03-08, 07:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
It's better than following plumbers who cut out your floor joists because it was in the way of their toilet drain. AND they "forget" to tell you about it until inspection day.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: