pvc coupling leak

Old 04-21-08, 06:05 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question pvc coupling leak

Hi,
I have a leak at the coupling in a pvc pipe. Can i re-seal that or is it better to cut it out & replace it? And if I need to cut & replace, does it matter how big of a section that needs to be removed? Thanks.
Stewart

Old 04-21-08, 06:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
What type coupling is it? You could cut the pvc, install a union, fix the leaking coupling and attach the union. That way it will be accessible later, too.

Old 04-22-08, 12:07 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 197 Votes on 177 Posts
Presuming it's a glued (welded) coupling, your only real choice is to cut it out, and replace it with a pair of couplers and a short piece of pipe. You can cut it as close to the coupler as you want presuming the pipe isn't damaged in some way, though you will need some movement in the pipe to work the couplers.

When you re-glue them, be sure to use a primer and PVC glue. If done properly, it's very rare for glued PVC to leak.

Old 04-01-09, 09:19 AM
Let me bring this topic up again:

There's a length of pipe between the trap underneath my shower and the vertical section of the drain. This straight length of PVC pipe is about 6', but for strange reason there's coupling right in the center of the 6' run. And now it's leaking slowly (less than 1/4 cup water after each shower). This is in a very easy to work on section of my basement.

I can tell that the water is dripping out of a gap between one side of the PVC pipe and the coupling (guess they didn't apply enough glue).

So let me confirm that the permanent, professional way to fix this is:

1. cut a few inches back from each side of the existing coupling and trash this section
  2. cut a section of new pvc to fit right in the cut-out spot
  3. place a new coupling on one side of the existing run of pipe
  4. cover the end of the new section and the old section with PVC glue
  5. quickly slide the coupling over the wet glue between the new and old section, twist to set.
  6. repeat for the other side.

OR
Should I skip the glue and couplings and get 2 Fernco fittings?

Old 04-01-09, 10:33 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 197 Votes on 177 Posts
cut a few inches back from each side of the existing coupling and trash this section
cut a section of new pvc to fit right in the cut-out spot
place a new coupling on one side of the existing run of pipe
Yup

cover the end of the new section and the old section with PVC glue
quickly slide the coupling over the wet glue between the new and old section, twist to set.
I tend to avoid repair couplings for PVC pipes. The cement sets up so quickly, you need to be real quick to be able to slide the coupling across the joint. What you've described might work, if you're fast (and a bit lucky)

I would probably use a standard coupling for one side of the replacement pipe. Glue it up as normal. Then use a mission coupling (like a fernco, but with a metal sleeve over the whole coupling) to seal up the other end.

You could do it with two mission couplers as well... *shrugs*

Of course, make sure you deburr the edges of the pipe and use the purple primer to ensure your connection doesn't leak!

Old 04-01-09, 12:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
unless the pipe will move back enough to use pvc couplings they are a bad idea. i havent seen a pvc repair coupling that didnt leak no matter how fast a person was.

i would just cut the section and use 2 sheilded (no hub) couplings. that is going to be the easiest and most reliable repair for you and the pipe doesnt have to have any "give" to be able to install them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: