Rebuild Clothes Washer Shut-off Valve?

Old 04-22-08, 07:37 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rebuild Clothes Washer Shut-off Valve?

My clothes washer shut off valve is extremely hard to turn, and I'm afraid it will snap off one day. My first instinct is to replace the entire insides of the valve, so I can have the benefit of a brand new valve without the destruction of tearing open the wall to solder in a new one. It's original to this 20 year old house.

If my instincts are right, where can I get one? 1/2 copper or brass, "American Valve Overseas Made in Taiwan," side is stamped with an SP or SD.

If there's a better solution, please advise. Thank you.

(I replaced the pipes that feed this valve about a year ago, so I am 100% sure, that I can't replace the whole valve w/out opening the wall. I should have replaced it then, but didn't.)

Old 04-23-08, 05:52 AM
M
Undo the packing nut and pull out the stem and internals (after shutting off the water, of course). Take them to a plumbing supplier and see if you can get replacement parts.

Another possibility is that there is mineral buildup that can just be cleaned off once you have the valve apart. Or possibly it just needs to be repacked.

Old 04-23-08, 06:53 AM
S
You need to understand that valves of this type are not standardized as far as the design of internal parts such as the stem.The likelyhood of finding an exact replacement stem is extremely low.Yes you can try and take the old stem to plumbing supply or hardware stores (plumbing supply must sell to public) but the word "taiwan" alone means you probably will not find a workable replacement.There has not ever been any attempt to design these stems so that parts will interchange or to create availability of replacement parts.

Do yourself a favor and bite the bullet and replace the valves instead of going through a wild goose chase to the same ultimate conclusion.Plus....one...you may be able to repair or lubricate these valves to fix your problem and two if that is not possible then you need new valves period.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: