Plumbing Test Plug Leaks

Old 04-25-08, 03:49 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Plumbing Test Plug Leaks

I finished the DWV plumbing in our house, and prepared it for an air test. I plugged all exposed outlets using a mechanical expansion test plug (with a large wing nut at the end). I have two, 2' plugs that are leaking. I used a wrench and tightened them some more, but they are still leaking. I didn't want to tightened them any more and possibly cracking the PVC pipe. Question: can I use plumber's putty or thread sealand around the rubber gasket before I insert it into the PVC pipe, or will that cause a problem? (Too cheap to buy a couple of more test plugs since I probably won't use them after the inspection). Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 04-25-08, 04:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Spray the wing nut and bolt with a little WD40 as well as the ribs on the fitting. I find if they are old, they may be a little brittle and the nut may not tighten well enough to form a good seal. Make sure there are no boogers on the inside of your pipe so you can ensure a good seal.

Old 04-25-08, 05:00 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Plumbing Test Plug Leaks

Thanks, Larry. Sounds like an easy fix. The test plugs are fairly new, from Home Depot, but the WD-40 should help seal it better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: