Replacing an outdoor faucet


Old 04-30-08, 06:35 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing an outdoor faucet

I've got a broken outdoor faucet and need to replace it. It's the type that has a pressure relief valve for freeze protection, and the pressure relief portion is broken, if that makes any difference. It's mounted on a brick wall. Is this as simple as turning off the water to the house, getting a wrench and unscrewing the old faucet and screwing on a new one? Or is there more to it than that?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-08, 07:31 PM
plumbingods's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Manch-vegas, New Hampshire
Posts: 2,182
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi there, and welcome

Unfortunately, this is usually not quite that simple.

The broken part has nothing to do with the freeze protection, it is called a vacuum breaker and is there to protect your drinking water from contamination.
The long length of the sillcock is how it is freeze protected.
The handle is connected to a rod going through the pipe to the other end. That is where the shut off part of the valve is, so it cannot freeze. Provided it is pitched properly.

Most plumbers do not use the threaded way to install the sillcock (outside faucet), these are usually soldered in place. And becauce it is going through brick, you may have some problems if the brick was installed after the sillcock because there may be mortar keeping it in place. If the sillcock was installed after the brick you will probably be ok.

If your sillcock has a large grey plastic knob it is most likely a mansfield and they do sell a repair kit for the vacuum breaker on the top of this brand sillcock.

If replacing the valve, make sure it pitches towards outside and make sure to take the hose off in time before things start to freeze and the sillcock should not break. Even though dirt can be the problem sometimes.

If you are not used to soldering you can get a fitting that threads onto the sillcock and a compression fitting to match the pipe size you are dealing with, generally 1/2".

Hope this helps you out, Mark
Old 05-06-08, 09:38 PM
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts


Can you explain what you mean by "make sure it pitches towards outside"? Do you mean that the angle is raised on the inside and pitching downwards as it goes through the wall?? Am I way off base?
Old 05-06-08, 11:28 PM
plumbingods's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Manch-vegas, New Hampshire
Posts: 2,182
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That is exactly correct. Otherwise the sillcock stays full of water and can freeze.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: